< Projects | Usability | HIG | Style
Revision as of 20:19, 21 March 2014 by Andrew (New Visual Design icon guide)
Icon design should be consistent through the interface and match the visual design goals.
- Used for application toolbar actions, menus, and status and notifications. Also used for small (16x16) devices and places icons (folders, usb drives, etc.)
- Rely on a distinct shapes instead of fine details to distinguish between them.
- Color can be used for distinction (change of state, destructive actions, etc.).
- Unique and easily recognizable
- Respect trademarks by avoiding significant alterations to other application icons
- Icons of a similar type use a consistent visual language (mimetypes, folders, devices, etc.)
- Avoid using text in icon designs; it may not scale well to smaller sizes
This page was last edited on 4 August 2016, at 12:09. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.