Icon design should be consistent through the interface and match the visual design goals.
- Used for application toolbar actions, menus, and status and notifications. Also used for small (16x16) devices and places icons (folders, usb drives, etc.)
- Rely on a distinct shapes instead of fine details to distinguish between them.
- Color can be used for distinction (change of state, destructive actions, etc.).
- Unique and easily recognizable
- Respect trademarks by avoiding significant alterations to other application icons
- Icons of a similar type use a consistent visual language (mimetypes, folders, devices, etc.)
- Avoid using text in icon designs; it may not scale well to smaller sizes
This page was last modified on 21 March 2014, at 20:19. This page has been accessed 202 times. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 3.0 as well as the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2.