KDE Human Interface Guidelines
The KDE Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) offer application designers and developers a set of recommendations for designing and developing user interfaces. Their aim is to improve the experience for users by making application interfaces more consistent and hence more intuitive and learnable.
- Design Vision and Principles - The overall vision and principles that guide the design and development of user interfaces for KDE software.
- Concept - Creating a project vision, determining the users, and the scenarios of use.
- Organization - Guidelines on how an application’s content and functionality are ordered and categorized.
This section contains guidelines for application behaviour.
- Viewing and Navigation - Guidelines on controls and patterns to use for viewing, navigating and performing actions on application content.
- Editing and Manipulation - Guidelines on controls and patterns to use for selection and input.
- User Assistance - Guidelines on tooltips, notifications, messages and help.
- Patterns - Guidelines on how to use controls in different combinations to accomplish specific behaviors.
Presentation deals with the visual design of the user interface.
- Layout - Guidelines regarding the placement and ordering of onscreen elements. Includes guidance on layout patterns, alignment, size and spacing.
- Style - Guidelines on the use of colour, icon design and the typography to communicate with a consistent visual vocabulary.
- Text - Guidelines for the written, language-based elements of the interface. Includes guidelines on wording, capitalization and localization.
Tools and Resources
The following tools and resources are offered to help with following these guidelines.
- Controls List - A complete listing of all user interface controls and their guidelines in alphabetical order.
- Mockup Toolkit - Includes UI controls stencils, color swatches and fonts to help create the visual design your application.
- About the HIG - Learn more about the philosophy behind the KDE HIG.
- Visual Design Group forum - Ask for help and share your design ideas.
Quick index for the new mobile-oriented HIG (work in progress)
Drawers & FAB
Complete app examples
- App store (to be applied to Muon Mobile)
- E-mail client
- Media player
This page was last modified on 24 November 2015, at 10:27. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 3.0 as well as the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2
unless otherwise noted.