Tutorials are the fastest way of finding out what KDE will do for you, and how to do it. Here is a list of currently available tutorials.
- Using Subversion with KDE
- A quick KDE-specific introduction how to work with KDE's version control system
- KDE 4 Programming Tutorial
- You are interested in writing applications with KDE 4? Here you get at tutorial which leads you from the beginners stuff to the advanced techniques.
- Debugging your application
- Tips, tools and techniques to apply when debugging your KDE application
- Writing Unittests for Qt4 and KDE4 with QTestLib (Original link)
- Tutorial by Brad Hards that describes how to write unit tests using the QTestLib framework. It is presented as an example based tutorial, and is still under development.
- Using Qt Designer to build user interfaces
- How to create UI files with designer, and how to integrate them into a KDE program
Managing Configuration Data With KConfig
- Using KConfig XT
- Tutorial on how to efficiently use the KConfig XT framework (available in KDE 3.2).
File Access With KIO
- 101: Unicode
- An introduction to what Unicode is as well as how to handle Unicode data in KDE applications.
- 120: Writing Localizable Applications
- This tutorial details how to ensure your application is translatable to other languages and locales for the widest possible reach. A must read for all application developers.
Components and Plugins
Application Automation and Scripting
- 101: Introduction to D-Bus
- A straight-forward introduction to the core concepts in D-Bus from an application developer's perspective, this tutorial covers what D-Bus is and how it can be used by applications.
- 201: Accessing D-Bus Interfaces
- A step-by-step guide to calling D-Bus methods and connecting to D-Bus signals using QtDBus.
- 211: Creating D-Bus Interfaces
- Learn how to expose functionality in your application by creating and using custom D-Bus interfaces. Covers generating the XML descriptions, instantiating interfaces at run time and setting up the build system with CMake.
- 300: D-Bus Autostart Services
- Turn your application into a D-Bus autostart service with this tutorial. This D-Bus feature will ensure that even when your application isn't running that D-Bus calls made to it will work by relying on the D-Bus daemon itself to start your app if and when needed.
- Creating Konqueror Service Menus
- This tutorial shows you how to create mimetype-specific actions in Konqueror's context menu (aka "servicemenus")
Search and Metadata
- Writing file analyzers
- File analyzers extract data from files to display in the file dialogs and file managers. The data gathered this way is also used to search for files. KDE4 allows the use of multiple analyzers per file type. This tutorial describes how you can write new analyzers.
- Introduction to Solid
- An introduction to using the Solid hardware discovery and interaction system in KDE applications.
Get Hot New Stuff
- Introduction to Get Hot New Stuff
- An introduction to the developer-friendly network update system that allows KDE applications to fetch new application data at runtime in a user friendly manner.
- KNewStuffSecure: a secure way to share resources
- Tutorial showing how to share resources in a secured way (KDE 3.4 and later).
Rapid Application Development
- KDE-Python tutorial
- A python version of Daniel's KDE tutorial by Boudewijn Rempt.
- KDE Ruby Korundum tutorial
- A ruby version of Antonio Larrosa Jiménez's KDE tutorial by Richard Dale. See the Ruby Developers Corner for Qt tutorials and other info.
- Qt4 Ruby Tutorial
- Trolltech's fabulous introductory tutorial to Qt, translated to Ruby.
- Shell Scripting with KDE dialogs (German Version)
- Tutorial by Brad Hards that describes how to use KDE dialogs in shell scripts with kdialog. It is presented as an example based tutorial.
- Using and extending the KDE EDU Plot widget (docbook archive)
- This tutorial introduces Jason Harris' KPlotWidget that is part of the KDE EDU package. Contains information about defining your own widget in QT / KDevelop designer and about subclassing widgets and overriding member functions to extend functionality.
KDE2 and KDE3 Materials
- KDE3 Tutorials
- These tutorials cover topics related to KDE3.
- KDE2 Tutorials
- These tutorials cover topics related to KDE2.
This page was last edited on 31 January 2021, at 19:29. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.