- TechZone: I like this name for several reasons: They give a clue on the pages purpose, are not biased towards either devs or system integrators, and leave room to brand them (Question to Promo team: is that a good idea). Please note that we will redirect developer.kde.org to this domain, so people who are looking for this domain straight will still end up in the right place. The word Base in TechBase was criticized as being meaningless plus there is already a domain called devbase.com, and I want to stay out of tm issues. --Danimo 01:42, 19 January 2007 (CET)
- TechBase: I like this name because we already call the site that elsewhere, so there's some continuity. It also is representative of the fact that this site (as i understand it) is meant to be the base of technical information for and about KDE on the interwebs. There is a company called TechBase International which does things completely unrelated to KDE so maybe there's some tm issues, but I doubt it. Perhaps we might want to have a thing where the full name of the site is KDE Technical Base and we just call it TechBase for short --Mattr 02:22, 19 January 2007 (CET)
- TechCenter: Similar to TechZone and TechBase. Maybe also similar to the qt-cetner.
- TechZone and TechBase : I feel that "tech[base|zone]"is a poor choice of name - it's a made up word and as such will age rapidly. It's a lowest common denominator, meaningless choice. The KDE project is bigger than that and would be better served by clean, functional terms such as "KDE Technical Reference", "KDE Technical Resource". If it has to be one word, "Learn" or "Platform". --Bille 23:18, 17 January 2007 (CET)
- name: explanation
- reply to this naming suggestion
Thoughts on the Scope of This Wiki
Thoughts on the Target Audiences
- Perhaps someone could clarify what is meant by "system administrators". At the extreme this term could apply to everyone from those with root on their local desktop install to people managing a network of thousands of PCs. I suspect the first of these includes the vast majority of KDE users. I assume this is not what is intended as this is a separate site to wiki.kde.org. -- TheoSpears
- We're talking about people that administer a multitude of PCs, probably they are doing this professionally most of the time. We want to provide resources for them (howtos, scripts, pittfalls and workarounds). The wiki also gives us the unique chance that they can contribute their knowledge back (works fine e.g. on the Kolab Wiki. --Danimo 02:12, 19 January 2007 (CET)
- With such an international audience, presumably we need to think about how the name carries around the world. I know that this can sink any discussion with concerns from every country, but I wonder how well (for example) 'zone' and 'base' are understood in this context, particularly since both have more than one meaning in English. Tomchance 08:24, 19 January 2007 (CET)
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.