Every word displayed in an application is part of a conversation with users. This conversation is an opportunity to provide clarity and to help people feel comfortable in the system.
- Use a terminology that is familiar and easy to understand for the target audience (i.e. Persona) of your application.
- Avoid contractions such as Don't and Won't etc.
- Avoid abbreviations, acronyms, and tech-babble.
- Use a tone that’s informal and friendly, but not too informal.
- Keep information short and consistent; avoid redundancy or unnecessary words.
- Don't abuse capitalization because it draws people’s attention.
- In respect to chronological information consider that your app is potentially used for decades; don't use fix dates like this year.
- Follow system-wide conventions for basic functions to keep wording consistent.
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.