A message panel is a small pop-up panel shown at top of the current form that informs users of a non-critical problem or special condition. The panel shows information on four levels indicated by different colors and icons, and provides standard action that users might want to initiate.
- Use message panel in cases of non-critical problems that user can solve.
- Use positive feedback (aka error) to notify about user-initiated processes, e.g. to indicate completion of background tasks
- Use negative feedback as a secondary indicator of failure, e.g. if a transaction was not completed successfully
- in discussion: Show the information on a warning level in case of relevant information that do not concern the current workflow, e.g. No Internet connection available.
- Use opportunistic interaction (aka notification) to acknowledge the user about options that he or she might be interested in, e.g. Remember password?
- Display the information immediately.
- Auto remove a message when the problem is resolved or special condition is removed.
- Do not auto remove the panel if users can't continue until the problem is resolved.
- When users dismiss the panel, do not display any other UI or start any other side effect.
- Do not add additional controls to the message panel.
- Consider to show a notification if Information does not concern the actual workflow.