The architecture page for KDE4 is very much work in progress. Let's try to get a good overview and a table of contents as a starting point.
Draft Table of Contents
- Plasma - The desktop
- KWin - Advanced window management including compositing
- Strigi - Desktop search engine
- Nepomuk - Meta Data library
- Multimedia & Communication
- Phonon - Multimedia framework
- Decibel - Framework for real time communication
- Akonadi - Centralized PIM storage solution
- DNSSD - DNS-based Service Discovery Protocol, also known as Bonjour or Zeroconf
- Core Technologies
- KParts - KDE's component architecture (e.g. Kate, KHTML, Dolphin)
- KIO - KDE's network transparent input/output system
- Kross - Scripting framework
- D-Bus - Full support for Inter Process Communication (IPC)
- Services - Plugin System
- MimeTypes - File associations and content/data types
- Hardware Awareness
- Solid - Hardware and network awareness
- ThreadWeaver - Multithreading framework
- Localization - Language support
- Standard Compliance (fd.o)
- KNewStuff2 - Collaborative data sharing
- Sonnet - Spell- and grammar-checking technology
- Further Highlights
- KGGZ - Simple access to the GGZ Gaming Zone, a free online gaming centre
- KOffice Architecture
- KDevelop - Development Platform and IDE
- Kdepim Suite - Private Information Management
As rule of thumb all articles should be easy to read especially for users/developers new to KDE. As such, every article should roughly cover the following parts
- Quick overview of what this is about (easy understandable!)
- Highlights, interaction with other components, ...
- Why is this cool, i.e. worth to be listed in the KDE4 architecture page (easy to read, not too much internals)
- Further Resources
- Link to development tutorials (for developers) and similar resources (related content)
Articles should should not span much more than 3 scrolled pages in a normal sized browser. It's all about giving an overview + links to further reading for interested visitors.
There are no threads on this page yet.
This page was last modified on 15 February 2008, at 23:02. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.