DRAFT POLICY This policy draft is based on a discussion on the k-c-d list.
This policy outlines the requirements around choosing new dependencies for KDE Software in general and the KDE Development Platform in particular.
- All new dependencies must be advised to the kde-build and kde-packager lists
- Any changes to KDE Development Platform dependencies (or to KDE Support
projects that the dev platform depends on) to be discussed on k-c-d first
- Only depend on packages with a stable release
- Pick dependencies with api/abi guarantees or well managed .so versioning
- What's our attitude to inherited dependencies at both build and runtime,
i.e. are libraries or services that use GConf/DConf/Glib/etc acceptable?
- Optional dependencies preferred, try ensure a sensible fallback if not
Maybe additionally there should be a check comparing the "cost" of the new
dependency vs. its benefits, i.e. how much feature it brings or how much
timne/work it saves compared to doing it self.
This page was last modified on 27 March 2011, at 16:31. This page has been accessed 720 times. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 3.0 as well as the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2.