Here we continue the discussion previously on firstname.lastname@example.org mailinglist.
The IRC channel is #kde-git on freenode.
It has been decided that KDE will move from svn to git on gitorious do we have an official statement of such or anything we can refer to for this? -Jeremy Whiting 9/24/09 9:38 AM .
Amarok has made the plunge already and has shown a couple issues that will need solving before KDE moves over also. Use this document to enumerate those issues (and any others you find of course) with the migration, and to record progress on each issue.
I've also added the list from GCDS that was in this email http://markmail.org/message/u6eqfjece7fibfyo
Remaining issues that must be solved before the migration.
Owner: (Gitorious wants to fix this)
- Everyone added to the kde-developers group gets an e-mail when anyone makes a merge request to any of our projects. This is undesirable (as most kde devs are not Amarok devs and many other permutations). A solution for this will have to be developed on gitorious before all of kde goes to gitorious
- See response to ACL support -Mike Arthur 19/10/2009 16:09
- just because someone needs commit rights to a project doesn't mean they want to listen to all merge requests for that project. also what about kwin vs plasma vs konqueror vs whatever-else in kdebase... --Chani
Method for joining the team
- A button to join the kde-developers team would be very useful instead of needing to poke admins. This would probably use a similar mechanism to current method for granting svn accounts, i.e. two people vouch for a person to let them in the team.
- Support for access control lists. from gcds: 1 project for all accounts on gitorious? sub-project membership? how should gitorious account system work?
- Each project needs owned by one group so the kdebase/kdepim/etc groups might work well here -Mike Arthur 19/10/2009 16:08
- wait, what? why? iirc we decided everyone would be in the kde-developers group... --Chani
Account setup on Gitorious
- How do the people get accounts on gitorious? Telling them to make one themselves puts up a big hurdle that people don't need.
- Really? It just requires an email/username/password, I'd be amazed if that's a "big hurdle" for people... -Mike Arthur 19/10/2009 16:02
Owner: Ian Monroe
- Commit filter is not implemented on gitorious (or something similar) though rss feeds for each module you are interested in can be subscribed to in the meantime.
- fixed, but how does one subscribe to notices?
- acltest, docbook, EOL/UTF-8
- A web hook isn't good enough for these because they have to run and return whether to allow the push, for every single push to every kde repo.
- gitorious guys said they *might* be willing to allow a few scripts on their server for kde as a special exception, iirc. --chani
- Yes, at least for basic things, heavier things like doc building would probably have to be mirrored (goes for pre/post) --johan-s
- license header checks
- Gitorious is supposed to provide web hooks for this; have they started? who volunteered to write the scripts once that's done?
- There is a branch of gitorious called web-hooks http://gitorious.org/gitorious/mainline/commits/web-hooks --Panagiotis Papadopoulos 1 November 2009
Get rid of svn:externals
Owner: David Faure
- not possible with git, broken by design.
- Is there a list of instances of svn::externals anywhere?- -Yokem55 19:27, 1 November 2009 (UTC)
Snapshot to read-only svn
- It's work, but maybe some people would like it. NEEDED for documentation, in order to get it back into SVN for the translators/scripty/?
- Could be done with a git-svn gateway presumably? -Mike Arthur 19/10/2009 16:04
Owner: Chani, greeneg, - please help out!
- At least minimal documentation about how to checkout, how to get a gitorious account, how to request a merge needed, other git documentation and links to other git information would be very useful also.
Nice to have before the migration:
Talk to people using other distros about git
Talk to windows guys about git.
This should be easily done with gitorious web interface and merge requests actually.
- but reviewboard has features gitorious (right now) doesn't, like commenting on specific lines and not having to set up a merge request. --chani
- Also email notifications when someone reviews are needed --thomasz
- We're working on this for someone else right now, so pretty soon --johan-s
Email all kde-developers
- We need a mechanism (possibly as simple as a new field on kde-common/accounts) that will let us do stuff like email all account holders. This is important for major announcements, and for invalidating dead accounts.
- Gitosis uses a similar file on the hosting side, maybe we could ask Johan if he can provide some kind of access to it.
- There may be some privacy issues here, unless users opt-in to it --johan-s
SSH blocked in corporations and universities.
100% completed (estimate)
- Some universities tend to block the SSH port. There should be a workaround to use SSH on some different port. github.com already runs a SSH server on port 443. But that assumes you are using a proxy. It has been found that this hasn't worked with a lot of people, especially those who have a direct connection to the internet ( so some transparent blocking by the ISP ). It would be great if (almost) every KDE developer were to be asked to check if other ports work before KDE made the switch. Otherwise there could be an automated email where the git patches could be sent, and appropriately patched to the right location too.
- http://blog.gitorious.org/2009/10/20/stuck-behind-a-firewall/, and there's always been HTTP cloning (although the current impl. in Git is a bit on the slow side) --johan-s
Other post-migration stuff:
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.