In which Aaron attempts to learn about and promote a specific feature.
A dynamically filled in selection box that allows the user to select which meta-data is shown in a file manager (Dolphin).
bitrate, encoding-methods, horizontal resolution, vertical resolution, horizXvert-area, polygon-count (for 3d models), author, number of pages,
Highly customized meta-data, a user would have to create custom ones on their own, but a template for helping people search should be provided, a "file includes text:" or regular expression. (granted this stuff would be slower than snot)
- Dealing with changing files, if a new file is created or modified. in an area that is being viewed, we want to have the indexer get the info.
- No false information, If a file is changed or just not gotten to yet, we want the meta data filled with something that indicates not known yet...
- If information should be there but is not, we want a blank indicator.
- We will probably want put the ones that people are more likely to find useful at the top of the list.. and not restrict use of most, basically just hide it.
- We will have to determine how much of the meta-data to store permanently (in a database), and how much to throw away at each viewing of the directory. We will have to use the file-changed date
- We will expressly want parent directory as a column, and be able to have portions of the file name be categories.
- We will want to be able to sort in this manner:
root-directory-- mime-type, parent directory, size, file-name
Where we basically have directory like structures that are not directories. Where we show every file within a certain root-directory
Tools and parts
Strigi looks like it is the tool to gather needed meta-data
This looks like it is the tool that will hold the meta data
This looks like the way information will be shared between modules