In which Aaron attempts to learn about and promote a specific feature.
A dynamically filled in selection box that allows the user to select which meta-data is shown in a file manager (Dolphin).
bitrate, encoding-methods, horizontal resolution, vertical resolution, horizXvert-area, polygon-count (for 3d models), author, number of pages,
Highly customized meta-data, a user would have to create custom ones on their own, but a template for helping people search should be provided, a "file includes text:" or regular expression. (granted this stuff would be slower than snot)
- Dealing with changing files, if a new file is created or modified. in an area that is being viewed, we want to have the indexer get the info.
- No false information, If a file is changed or just not gotten to yet, we want the meta data filled with something that indicates not known yet...
- If information should be there but is not, we want a blank indicator.
- We will probably want put the ones that people are more likely to find useful at the top of the list.. and not restrict use of most, basically just hide it.
- We will have to determine how much of the meta-data to store permanently (in a database), and how much to throw away at each viewing of the directory. We will have to use the file-changed date
- We will expressly want parent directory as a column, and be able to have portions of the file name be categories.
- We will want to be able to sort in this manner:
root-directory-- mime-type, parent directory, size, file-name
Where we basically have directory like structures that are not directories. Where we show every file within a certain root-directory
Tools and parts
Strigi looks like it is the tool to gather needed meta-data
This looks like it is the tool that will hold the meta data
This looks like the way information will be shared between modules
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.