Difference between revisions of "User:AaronPeterson"
|Line 112:||Line 112:|
== This Wiki ==
== This Wiki ==
Revision as of 20:58, 7 August 2010
Request for HELP
None currently, Aaron helped wean me from my psychological dependence on kdesrc-build
Aaron generally organizes then polishes, Some users may be offended by misspellings or hanging links to pages that do not exist, and making placeholders for content that he thinks should go there.
He likes using categories whenever possible.
I find that wiki's especially, mediawiki, get misused when in techbase role. It is important to use Categories, and NOT subdirectories so that wiki linking becomes easy. Filing something under Getting Started is a horrible way to do it, because the item will also be related to the [[Topic]] In general, sub pages should be used only if the topic page is too large, and the additional content is exclusive to the topic. I hope to re-arrange the wiki to make it easier to navigate.
Aaron will move content about and adjust sentence structure to get right to the point. He rarely deletes content, rather, prefers to move it to new pages.
I talk a lot, I am learning about projects that i interact with, and hope that I am actually contributing. I want to give a high signal to noise, and I have a lot of time right now (July 2010) and am running with high enthusiasm.
Aaron generally cares a great deal about the projects he works on and would very much enjoy talking with what they are working on, and requests help learning this stuff.
Telephone: 206 334 5925
Part of my creativity comes from experimentation. I try a lot of things, and I believe i have a talent for testing software, and creating user interfaces.
I file a lot of bugs and wishlist items. Often the fix is not trivial, and does not fit exactly in the category I put the item... because I have no idea where it should go. For example, I don't think we should program based on click, double click, drag, I think we need more abstract concepts .
I have filed bugs for bugzilla at mozilla regarding micropayment integration, and I tend to prefer Mantis as a bug/feature tracker. I also very much think that searching for existing bugs should go thru closed bugs and not just open bugs.
Aaron has enjoyed using applications made in KDE and QT for quite some time, and has posted bugs. He would like to be considered a usability contributer and is attempting to set up a build environment to actually fix some of the behavior he cares deeply about.
Specific bugs and enhancements
- selecting items in dolphin and konqueror / dialogs are over-engineered and while simplify some very basic selection capability, complicates general use of the program.
- Single vs double click -- Aaron cares very deeply about accidental clicks activating programs, and would like to seporate desired appliacation behavior vs application use by creating a concept to make user interfaces easier.
- Reversable-Safe-to-activate -- no-data-loss -- a button, single click, even moving a cursor over can trigger an event and this triggers no possiblity of data loss.
- known-common-use - reversable - arranging content, a single button can trigger.
an example would be a slide-lock on an iphone, a double click, or similar
a confirmation dialog/interuption of user is required.
a confirmation dialog may be requried.
- \gridplasmoid for icons Seen in KDE3
- show contents of directory--within a panel, not an icon to start a new window..
- application plasmoids, task-bar like objects that organize application windows and documents, that stay persistant.. AND also provide taskbar like control ((all other implementations seen either are just like taskbars or completely hide content)
- Note taking / journal plasmoid, that actually prepends to a simple text file. Saves like an instant messanger log, perhaps just instant message self in a note., (from anywhere) and have it save on the server.
- /In panel run command There is a run plasmoid, it just manifests as an icon, and I don't want to click on an icon, then click again and type what I want to run.
-- The active user interface field is IN the plasmoid, so one less click. (first seen with IE4beta but then removed.. also seen in KDE3)
- Make applets have a choice weather to behave like a popupapplet or an applet
(wishlist/bug filed: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=245124 ) Spent many many hours reading api / source code etc trying to figure this out ;) still
<notmart> MrDarkUser: you reimplement void Applet::createConfigurationInterface(KConfigDialog *parent)
- wants to make kde settings behave as expected with single click, because they are all buttons/hyperlinks Not fileRepresentation.
- adding more columns /MoreMetaDataInDolphin
- Adding a view that allows grouping based on metadata
- Making Details be accessible in Icon view
- Make an Icon view that can be rearranged, not snapped to a grid.
- Make Thumbnails be in their own column/ make filetype icon still show up even in iconview
- Make DetailedIcon view, where metadata gets shown in same tile as icon.
. Need to have a filter on incoming messages, and present a log view. Would like to implement a time and check condition capability, conditions to check would be file is filesize, window has gotten focus, other things to help knotify if it should pop up that annyoing dialog. Also the application can send information like how many it expects to send.
Would like all kinds of things to get logged. Deletion of files, trash cleared..... tons of stuff would be great to keep track of. sorting it would be a pain tho.
kreactor overheard a conversation and started thinking about using it to make a social networking portal alternative -- standards based websites that people put up themselves (already a project) (facebook afterall, is just a glorified, centralized log analyzer that can trigger alarms) We could eventually string all of our instant messages thru our log analyzer, have it show us what we want, and retransmit based on rules if certain conditions are met.
- (social networking use is probably best in a sub page /NotificationLogAnalyzerAsSocialNetworking