Please don't forget to sign your remark with four tildes (~~~~) that turn into your Wiki-Username and date of insertion.
- 1 Scrapbook for ideas
- 1.1 Getting started
- 1.2 Common tasks
- 1.3 Advanced tasks
- 1.4 Advanced Tasks
- 1.5 Appendix
Scrapbook for ideas
- Walk through the Account Wizard for the first time with setting up your first identity in KMail and your first email account.
How to read mail
- Managing mail should not be dealt with yet. Beginners are mostly quite comfortable with a brimfull inbox. --tictric 17:16, 6 January 2009 (UTC)
How to write and send mail
How to setup accounts/identities
How to use templates and snippets
How to mark and tag your mail
How to use the quick search and the full search to find mail
How to manage folders
- Creating folders, moving messages between folders, navigating between folders (including favorite folder view) and explaining the folder view in general. Maybe a quick introduction/link/whatever on how to use filters to move messages to the right folders.
TMG 17:26, 21 December 2008 (UTC)
I moved configure.docbook to advanced-tasks.docbook because I think it would be repetitive to first describe common and advanced tasks that actually do describe parts of the interface like the configuration dialog and then describe the configuration dialog again. --tictric 17:16, 6 January 2009 (UTC)
General Introduction to EMail
- What is E-Mail, where is e-mail stored (server/client), how is mail sent (over the internet, then stored on the server if nothing goes wrong), what is webmail and what are mail clients like KMail, and how do those compare, what is POP3 and IMAP (esp. the difference between the two, i.e. that IMAP mail is left on the server and can be accessed from multiple computers). Maybe steal (and dumb-down) some things from the wikipedia page on email here.
TMG 17:47, 21 December 2008 (UTC)
Fine tuning KMail
- What one can do with signatures, and where the signature separator comes from, and how to insert that separator automatically --tictric 10:54, 13 December 2008 (UTC)
Import Mail from other MUA
How to work with signed/encrypted mail
How to use filters
- Filters can be used in many ways, for example to manage mailing lists (automatically moving the mail to the correct folder), to rewrite subjects (e.g. remove the [kde-pim] subject prefix, or a filter to remove ***SPAM*** that the provide added, ...)
Advanced topics: POP filter and Sieve filters. TMG 17:03, 21 December 2008 (UTC)
Managing multiple identities
- If you have more than one mail address and many accounts, you'll likely also need different identities. Useful things: Set the dictionary for an identity, bind an identity to a special transport, set a per-folder or per-account (IMAP only) identity, enable the identity combobox in the composer, ...
TMG 17:03, 21 December 2008 (UTC)
Adjusting the look of KMail
- You can change many things about the way KMail looks to match your taste. For example: Colors, fonts, layout of message pane and message structure viewer, type of headers displayed in the message pane, icon for folders, tooltip for folders, hiding or showing favorite folders, the appearance of the message list (aggregation, theme etc) and many more.
TMG 17:16, 21 December 2008 (UTC)
- Not sure if this deserves an own section, but keyboard navigation in KMail did confuse a few people. What is important. The "J", "C" and "M" keys, the keys for navigating around in the message list, the keys to navigate in the folder list and the keys to scroll the message itself.
TMG 17:23, 21 December 2008 (UTC)
Addressbook and Calendar integration
- Maybe this should be in the Kontact handbook instead, I don't know. Anyway, topics are:
- Adding email contacts to your addressbook and using the addressbook in the composer to select email addresses - Marking mails as todo and adding them as todo item in KOrganizer/Kontact - Sending and receiving (+acting upon) meeting invitations - Sending and receiving buisness cards TMG 18:00, 21 December 2008 (UTC)
- more here ...