Moving "Getting Help"
Getting Help/Contact belongs to the Contact / Contribute pages, not into this tutorial itself (it only bloats up the page) - what do you think? Dhaumann 17:05, 23 December 2006 (CET)
- Fully agree, but I didn't see a good place to put this when I was writing it. So I just tacked it on here. Suggestions on a specific page it should go to? Mattr 18:36, 23 December 2006 (CET)
- Maybe add it somewhere to Contribute or even put it into the Help: namespace? I'm yet undecided :) Dhaumann 16:54, 26 December 2006 (CET)
- personally i think the "finding other developers" belongs in the Getting Started area, as it's something that anyone working on a kde application would want or even need to do. the finding documentation section could perhaps be broken out into it's own little tutorial? that tutorial could cover: developer[new].kde.org, accessing api documentation online as well as locally via konqueror or kdeveloper (qt assistant?), lxr.kde.org ...?
- While this is being decided, I'll move the "Your lessons" section near the top. Since, to be honest, if someone clicked on the "KDE 4 Programming Tutorial" link on the Tutorials page then they're going to be expecting tutorials, not a page full of non-tutorial txt. --milliams 00:29, 4 January 2007 (CET)
Breaking this out into separate tutorials?
I have to say that this seems to be duplicating much of intent of the Tutorials section in general. The topics are pretty eclectic (nearly random?) and would each make nice top-level tutorials where they would be more visible and likely gain more editing love as well as readership. thoughts?
- I feel that this page should just be introductory tutorials about the basics of KDE4 programming. The others (like printing and sound) should be moved to the main Tutorials page. -- milliams
- I decided that instead of just saying 'should', I've gone ahead and written some tutorials which are aimed at developers complely new to KDE (but who know C++ (and maybe Qt)). I've also reformatted the 'First Program' tutorial to fit in with mine (to make a series of it). --milliams 22:55, 3 January 2007 (CET)
- the tutorials look great. but i'm once again struck by the thought that these simply don't belong here but on the main tutorials page. tutorial #4 is about kconfigxt. we already have a tutorial on kconfigxt on the main tutorials page, and i'd suggest that is where this one belongs as well. if it's meant to be a more introductory piece than the existing one (e.g. introduces KConfig and friends, etc), then it can be placed before it (and perhaps even numbered appropriately?). if someone comes to the site asking "what does kde provide for configuration?" will they really find it all if that information is in the "beginner's tutorial" and some of that information is on the main tutorials page? and will people working on kconfig (to keep picking on that example ;) remember to update all the kconfig related tutorials spread around the tutorials area? i'm willing to help move things around on friday, but i don't want to do that without the blessings of those involved in authoring this set of rather nice tutorials... [[User:aseigo|aseigo}]
Why do we have this tutorial on this page? It's KDE3 only. Surely there's a better place it could be put?
- Never mind, It's sorted now. --milliams 23:52, 3 January 2007 (CET)