KDE 4.0 Release Roadmap
Milestone: Subsystem Freeze
Date: 2 April 2007
- After this date forward, no major KDE subsystem can be committed to kdelibs.
- The location of all classes are fixed within kdelibs.
- Trunk is expected to contain KDE4 code only now. This effectively means that all scripts processing translations for KDE3 in trunk will cease.
- Extragear applications that want to release based on KDE3 are expected to move to /branches/stable and work from there.
- The buildsystem requirements are fixed; i.e, must not require a version of cmake greater than 2.4.5.
- 31 March - 2 April is Big Changes 3-Day Weekend to make the final set of big changes.
Milestone: kdelibs Hackathon Week
Start: 15 Apr 2007 (estimated) End: 21 Apr 2007 Duration: 1 week
- kdelibs polishing and fine-tuning.
- Developer meeting (possible, planning TBD).
- Full API review of Phonon and Solid (Oslo meeting)
Milestone: Alpha Release + kdelibs soft API Freeze
Date: 1 May 2007
- Qt 4.3 is required from here until release.
- The kdelibs API is frozen. This means that the classes and interfaces are not allowed to change, except with permission of the core developers.
- To make an API change, post a kdelibs API exception request to the kde-core-devel mailinglist with an explanation and the code. If there are no objections after a week, the change can be committed.
NOTE: all affected modules must continue to compile and work as expected.
Milestone: Usability and Accessibility Review
Date: 8 May 2007
- Application Usability Review
- Application Accessibility Review
- Continues until the start of the Beta Cycle
Milestone: Feature Freeze
Date: 1 June 2007
- The KDE main modules are frozen for new features.
- No new features are allowed, the focus is on stabilizing the applications and fixing all bugs.
- The main module maintainers must indicate if they will follow the release schedule or will divert and not be released together with KDE 4.0.
Milestone: Beta Cycle, Full kdelibs API Freeze
Start: 25 June 2007
End: 24 September 2007
Duration: 3 months (estimated)
- From this date forward, a Beta Version will be published every month until most grave bugs are resolved.
- The kdelibs API is now frozen solid.
- Translations are included starting with the second Beta, thus beginning a string freeze. Exceptions can be requested on the kde-i18n mailinglist.
Milestone: Release Candidate Cycle
Start: 25 September 2007
End: 22 October 2007
Duration: 4 weeks (estimated)
- From this date forward, a Release Candidate will be released every two weeks until *all* grave bugs are resolved.
- After the first Release Candidate there is a total release freeze. This means only regressions (breakage caused due to the KDE4 port) or grave bugs can be fixed, but nothing else.
- With the first Release Candidate, a list of languages which will be included with the KDE 4.0 release will be made available, based on the usual rules.
Milestone: KDE 4.0 Released
Date: 23 October 2007
- This date is based on an estimated 3 Beta's and 2 Release Candidates.