This page will list all the release goals for the beta cycle of KDE4. It will contain not only the goals, but also the current state and what YOU can do to help out.
You can not add new items to this list. Only maintainers should edit their own section. If you wish to add new items, send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- current state: showstopper
- contact: Aaron J. Seigo
- goal: A basic panel is there; current work is to flesh it out into a more capable panel system. System tray and taskbar both need work as does a desktop containment with legacy support for the Desktop folder.
- howto help: help is always welcome; there are a number of people contributing to plasma already but more help can make things go faster. If you want to help, join the irc channel #plasma or mail to email@example.com
- expected time of arrival: unknown, but close
- current state: color list broken
- contact: Matthew Woehlke
- fix size bug in color list (QTableView bug?) priority
- sort schemes in list cosmetic
- don't save options in schemes cosmetic
- confirmation when discarding changes to working scheme, bug 152883 releasable
- howto help: Polish and Usability review welcome.
- current state: showstopper
- contact: David Faure
- goal: Konqueror must be able to browse the web and to be used as a file manager again, I'm mostly aiming for "no regressions compared to KDE3"
- howto help:
- Help is most welcome. firstname.lastname@example.org is the place for discussion of both aspects of konqueror development. Web browsing seems in better shape than filemanagement right now, so small tasks are fixing regressions in the webbrowsing-related code in konqueror and its dependencies. For instance there is finally a patch now about fixing the non-working Return key in the location bar URL; I'm sure there's more like that.
- Bigger tasks include:
- defining a future for the sidebar code (*no showstopper if this is the last item on the list*) -- volunteer(s) needed!
- finishing the integration of the dolphin part for file management.
- open bugs are on this Bugzilla page
- expected time of arrival: november (if we leave out the sidebar changes), else december.
- current state: no showstopper
- contact: Peter Penz
- goal: I think Dolphin is in a quite acceptable state now. David Faure and Rafael Fernández López also investigate a lot of time in Dolphin related things so I'm optimistic that Dolphin should be in a good shape for KDE 4.0.
- howto help:
- I'm concerned a little bit whether the Dolphin KPart is matured enough for getting Konqueror in shape.
- I'm not sure about the state of Nepomuk. Currently the performance is too slow for sorting items by tags or rating. It would be possible to use an internal cache in Dolphin for this, but this would only reduce the time from O(n*log(n)) to O(n) and the problem is n: reading e. g. 30 items takes several seconds... Maybe Sebastian Trüg could need some support. In the worst case I'd suggest to remove the "sort by tags" and "sort by rating" feature in Dolphin for KDE 4.0.
- expected time of arrival: There also is http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=152904 which is not dolphin related, but it affects this app.
- current state: some missing features & bugs, but usable
- contact: Kate Team
- goal: The KDE 4 version of Kate should at least inlude the known KDE 3 features with additions. We have some new stuff around already but some old is lacking correct porting (beside new introduced bugs). There is a massive need for bugfixing and help getting old stuff back to work, like printing.
- howto help:
fix printing Fixed by Anders, 2007-10-20
fix shortcut settings Fixed by mstocker
rendering bugfixes seems to be ok (fixed everything I know), by mstocker
- config saving bugfixes
- expected time of arrival: unknown, but very close
- current state: no showstopper any more
- contact: Alex Merry (randomguy3)
- goal: Printing support working in all applications that can currently print, with print preview and customisable dialogs; no applications depending on libkdeprint, except for the printing kcm
- help needed: API is in place: KPrintPreview in kutils and KdePrint::createPrintDialog() in kdeui. Okular has support for printing PS files directly, although this will only work on *NIX platforms (it requires lpr or cups). Basically, all that is left is test, test, test.
- howto help: heavy testing required, send reports of problems to email@example.com mailing list, preferably with a patch, or report problems on Bugzilla.
- expected time of arrival: All was done by 26th Nov.
- current state: ready
- contact: Matthias Kretz
- no showstopper: do some more automatic tests that all sound devices work as expected
- howto help: Mailinglists: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, IRC: #phonon ping Vir
- Local audio playback is working quite OK, but there are some issues that are still open:
- https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=284171 (should be fixed with libc 2.7)
- Even though defaults.pcm.ipc_gid is set to audio and defaults.pcm.ipc_perm is set to 0660, dmix does not work for more than one user at the same time (both users are in the audio group). A workaround is to set ipc_perm to 0666, but a real fix would be nicer.
- xine-lib behaves bad wrt. memory allocations. run e.g. mediaobjecttest in valgrind --tool=massif (this will hopefully get fixed with libxine 1.2)
- current state: A state where packagers can work around the rest.
- contact: k-c-d
- goal: Distros should be able to coinstall packages in the same prefix in a way that makes it possible to use kde3 apps on a kde4 desktop or to use kde4 apps on a kde3 desktop.
- how to help
- fix kinfocenter && khelpcenter in some magic way
- kde3libs, kde4libs, kdepimlibs, kde4base(apps, runtime, workspace) should be coinstallable => kde3 apps in a kde4 desktop
- kde3libs, kde3base, kde4libs, kdepimlibs, kde4base-runtime should be coinstallable => kde4 apps in a kde3 desktop
- And only those with the -devel stuff stripped out.
- list of conflicting files: KDE3/KDE4 coinstallability
- This does not cover apps like konsole, konqueror, kmail, ... There can of course only be one of each application installed in same prefix. It is only about the runtime parts of the other desktop.
- expected time of arrival: Very soon