The Master Todo List for KDE 4:
Medium to large-scale API changes that we would like to make for the next binary incompatible release.
|Check for forked classes in kde pim and other modules||Danimo|
|Remove all KSocks references throughout KDE in favor of KNetwork's socket implementations.||Thiago|
|Remove all methods marked 'deprecated' in KDE 3.x.||Martijn|
|Make it possible to create a KSystemTray without a KMainWindow and instead lazily create the main window on demand.||Martijn|
|Make KSystemTray add its own reference to KApp, so tray apps that adhere to the style guide can safely close their main window without having to worry about the app quitting instead.||Martijn|
| Sort out reference counting of applications and KMainWindows: Add a setRefCountEnabled() function to KApplication; deref()ing the last reference should only quit the application if reference counts are enabled, and the reference count should be disabled by default so apps that don't use a KMainWindow mostly continue to work. Make the KMainWindow constructor call setRefCountEnabled(true), and make each KMainWindow hold its own reference to the application. The KMainWindow should drop its app reference on hide, and regain it on show.
Make KSysTray also hold a reference to the app. Then apps that use more than one main window and the tray (like KSIrc and Kopete) will quit at the right time without nasty hacks.
|Make some long-lasting operations threaded. There are some operations in KDE that take too long on at least ~500MHz hardware to be done using event loops. Examples are the use of KLibLoader to dlopen plugins and KRun to fire up other processes.<p>Konqueror and KMail tend to stall occasionally too, but that's harder to refactor because the bulk of the work there is X11-related.||Martijn|
|Make it possible to use SSL-ed sockets outside KIO. KSSL isn't very suitable for reuse, and the certificate dialogs are not even available in public API at all, leading e.g. to Kopete IRC duplicating a lot of stuff and all KDE Jabber clients based on libpsi (PSI, Light Hawk and Kopete) using homebrewn solutions. [How does this have to do with changing KIO? It's just a request to have that code in a different form....]||Martijn|
|Solve need for casting when using bitfield enums (e.g. K3Process::Communication) by the use of Q_DECLARE_FLAGS/Q_DECLARE_OPERATORS_FOR_FLAGS||Simon|
|Merge kdelibs/kdecore/kuser.h and kdeadmin/kuser/kuser.h.||Frans|
|KParts: remove plugin loading from setInstance, add an explicit loadPlugins() call in all parts that should load plugins (at the end of the derived-part ctor).||David|
|KParts: come up with better names for ReadOnlyPart and ReadWritePart, ReadOnly is a minimum requirement, but this does not become clear until you dig deeper into the class. With QTextEdit and QTextBrowser for instance, the inheritance is the other way around. E.g.: ReaderPart? ViewerPart?||David|
|Other ideas in this thread: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=107608067302571&w=2 <p>(Contributors to that thread, please add specific items here.)||Waldo|
|Change classes that store bool data using strings ("true"/"false") to use bool calls (readBoolEntry()). Although not technicaly a binary incompatablity...just something to bring up for possible change (for the better)<p>Use KConfigXT instead!||Frans|
|Is it really necessary to bother people using the KCM APIs with withFallback? I have never heard of it failing and when would you not like to have that fallback? I think a default of 'true' would be fine(and remove the argument in the APIs).||Frans|
|Do we need to have factory arguments in the KCM API? (who would use it anyway?)||Frans|
| The config options in kdeglobals needs to be cleaned up a little. Perhaps I'm being picky..
| K3Process needs a major facelift. Not all of these items need to be BIC, but not needing to worry about legacy will certainly allow an overall cleaner solution.
|KKeyDialog needs to be improved. It should simplify using KKeyChooser by not having to instantiate KDialogBase without restricting the possibilities of KKeyChooser (for instance, being able to configure global and application accels in one dialog). If there is only little time, simply expose the KKeyChooser object instead of making it private and inaccessible.||Michael Brade|
|Fix the APIs taking Matthias Ettrich's hints into account, most importantly fix the massive amount of bool-usage in the CTORs.||Michael Brade|
|Implement a "default" ctor for the widgets i.e. explicit Foo(QWidget* parent =0).||André Wöbbeking|
|Get rid of libkdesu dependency in libkio, get rid of KIO::SessionData::AuthData*||Waldo|
|Make functions in KHelpMenu virtual so they can be overridden (ex: to provide an alternative help->contents action)||George Staikos|
|Make sure all GUI classes adopt well to palette changes.||Danimo|
- K3ListView lacked a setDnDMode to choose between "dnd to move items" (e.g. keditbookmarks) and "dnd onto items" (e.g. kmail). Check how to do this with QListView/QTreeView... (David)
- Add the concept of a session to KIO, in particular for KHTML so that it can have all of its jobs associated in some way (a unique key of sorts). Will make SSL much easier to implement and allow removal of many hacks, mostly involving metadata. (George Staikos)
- Make KLibLoader default to RTLD_GLOBAL and make necessary changes to make KDE namespace clean. (Coolo)
Maybe just make sure we don't emit multiple copies of per-class data (vtable,RTTI), then RTLD_LOCAL should do as well, and it should(?) be simpler this way. (Lubos)
- Many instances of creating containers on the heap instead of stack, can be replaced? (Caleb Tennis) [where?]
- Remove all of the (const char *name) arguments to QObject derived classes. (Caleb Tennis) [mostly done, what's missing?]
- Add KAssistant - a new KDE standards-compliant wizard, (Jaroslaw Staniek (TODO/KAssistant|Details)) Qt4 has no QWizard (only Q3Wizard left). Add a new KDE standards-compliant wizard with a bit more powerful API and features like "Steps list" pane on the left hand ofthe wizard (user can click any step if developer allowed such action). (Jaroslaw Staniek)
Example from OO.org:
We could add more consistency (using themes, guidelines) in this area, as in KDE3 some apps implement wizard's features like left-hand funky pictures or help text again and again (see http://www.kolab.org/doc/kde-client-manual-0.9cvs20030801-html/c43.html).
- K3IconView/K3ListView equivalents based on Qt4 interview. As discussed on kde-core-devel,this probably means a custom QItemDelegate instead, to handle single-click/double-click, execute-mode/select-mode (cf K3IconView), number of lines used for wrapping, "held" signal.
In short, rewriting k3iconview features to be based on interview. For K3ListView we need to check if QTreeView supports both modes of drag-n-drop (dropping onto items, and dropping between items like in the bookmark editor) (David, Till etc.)
- It looks like most of the functions KStringHandler can be removed. At least, insword, setword,remrange, and remword could be removed [DONE] . Those four don't seem to be used anywhere inside of KDE. Other functions like capitalize and reverse seem to be sparsely used. (Caleb)
- Prevent re-entering event loop in kded to avoid reentrancy problems like with kwallet in KDE3 (Lubos).
- Customizable KToolTip/KWhatsThis widgets (Jaroslaw Staniek), now KWhatsThis is a part of KDE GSoC "Implement OpenUsability's Context Sensitive Help Redesign" project, by Joshua Keel, mentored by Ellen Reitmayr
- Additional (automatic) shortcuts for KMessageBox (Jaroslaw Staniek) See http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&m=109688936328920&w=2- Port krosskjs away from KjsEmbed to Kjs, scheduled for 4.1 (Sebastian Sauer)