This is the planning page for KDE Usability Project meetings on #kde-usability on irc.freenode.org. The purpose of the meetings is to Get Usability Stuff Done. These meetings are free for anyone to listen in on; however, they are mostly for designers and developers. For more information scroll and read About the Usability Meetings.
Next Meeting March 18 20UTC
The next meeting will be March 18 at 20UTC (21CET/15EST).
The theme for this meeting is Usability Bugs. Please add bugs (with link to bug) to the meeting agenda if you would like to discuss them.
Add meeting topics you would like to discuss. Not all of the topics will be able to be covered in a single meeting and so might be deferred until later. Please include your name/irc nick and a link to a project page or bug.
- KWin: Placement policy 'Remember' (Bug 15329)
- Dolphin/Konqueror: Select/enter newly created folder/file (Bug 155706)
- Keyboard's "Super" must launch Kickoff by default (Bug 154564)
- To which menu entry we should add icons, and to which one we shouldn't add icons. ( Possible UI case could by Qt application Kadu Instant Messenger: 1) http://tinyurl.com/menukadu , 2) http://tinyurl.com/menucontacts , 3) http://tinyurl.com/menuhelp2 , 4) http://tinyurl.com/menucontext2 [Too many icons] )
- Desktop Settings Dialog: Review its usability (Anne-Marie Mahfouf)
- Improve Desktop Theme: Customized (works with Desktop Theme Details kcm from System Settings)
- Add SlideShow effects options: where, how
- Amarok 2 general usability <-- Probably have a separate meeting for this
- Get hot new stuff: Paginator (currently, can't view or install any stuff).
- Make often used/primary actions (e. g. "empty trash") more prominent. NSaibot
- KDE4 KMail 1.11.1 doesnt store column order (Bug 186841).
- lots of drawing glitches, mostly in tray
- DragonPlayer general usability
- KWin default buttons, default compositing effects, default settings of some effects (Louai "slougi" Al-Khanji) (Bug 187233)
- Do users use the pinning functionality? If not, why is it on by default?
- Why was the button order proposed by aseigo discarded? Anecdotally, it seems to work out for many users who try it.
- How were the default compositing effects chosen?
- Some of the effects have defaults that I believe could be improved.
- Konqueror's save password dialog is unintuitive (Bug 168060)
- Quit should exit totally the application? (Bug 180466) Can this bug be closed?
- problems with small screens (netbooks): mainly kde-pim is not prepared for small screens like the eeepc one (some places with no scrollbar for example).
- Copy dialog start / stop buttons inoperative when panel is locked (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=183446)
- 'Full Screen' option should really be in the 'View' menu (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106807)
- no option should require good reflex and/or mouse handling skills (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=125208)
- No indication of currently focused area (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=187537)
- Wish: Folder Icon indicates empty folder (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=153199)
- Ability to place a toolbar on the right of the menu bar (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=169043)
- Separate fonts for different languages (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14496)
- KDE errors: Option for non-translated English version (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=170664)
- Resize windows based on drag location (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=182069)
- (Line to) indicate previous page boundary when scrolling a document (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93196)
- Wish: Delete shows size/contents (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=156249)
- Add any button to toolbar (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=147372)
About the Usability Meetings
We will discuss practical usability-related issues and attempt to reach reach a resolution. Usability topics which are too large or too broad may be too much to discuss in a single meeting and should be broken up into smaller issues or schedule a dedicated meeting.
Meetings are structured and attempt to follow a preset agenda. There is a meeting leader/moderator (probably seele) who will control the flow of discussion to help keep the meeting on track.
Meeting format is as follows: An agenda item will be presented, describing the problem and a proposed solution. If the item was suggested by someone in particular, they will be asked to provide additional information about the problem. Those in attendance will then be able to discuss the issues in the problem. The meeting moderator will attempt to keep the meeting on track of the topic.
Meetings are normally at 20UTC, alternating weekday and weekend days. Meetings will last no longer than 2 hours. If we do not get through the list in 2 hours, the topics will be covered in the next meeting. If we get through the list in < 2 hours and people are still responsive, we will possibly add an additional topic from the main meeting topics list if the people necessary for discussion are in attendance.