KDE address a world wide audience and is therefore fully localized. Localization means to adopt language, text layout, numerals as well as cultural aspects and regulatory compliance.
- Provide bidirectional mode dependent to language (left-to-right vs. right-to-left).
- Allow translation with multiple plural forms.
- Design GUI with enough room for long captions.
- Allow users to choose currency and metric system (kg vs. lb, miles vs. km)
- Take cultural comprehension of icons (Red Cross vs. Red Crescent) into account.
- Do not localize standard short-cuts.
- Be aware of intercultural (mis-)comprehension of acronyms.
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.