- Core usability goals, Use cases / User requirements, Task aggregation
- Personas, Scenarios, Usability criteria, Feature list
- Group box, Panel
- Use a List View to show some items out of one category.
- Tree view
- If you really need to create your own widget follow the guidelines for custom controls.
Editing and Manipulation
- Use radio buttons for 1 of a few n selections.
- Use one or more check boxes for clear options or n of a few m selections.
- Use a drop-down list for 1 of a few n selection.
- Use a combo box for 1 of a few n selection where users should be able to add items.
- Use a list view for 1 of some m (singular) selections.
- Apply the dual list pattern for n of m (multiple) selections.
- Provide a line edit to enter one line of text.
- Provide a text edit to enter multiple lines of texts.
- Consider to provide inline editing with complex views.
- Use a Spin Box for numerical input within a range and with fix steps.
- Use a Slider for arbitrary changes within a defined range.
- (Under construction): Numeric input with both large changes and precise control: Slider and Spin Box
- Use Date and Time Pickers for formatted input of datum, time of day, or periods etc.
- Provide tool-tips for user driven information.
System triggered notification
- Provide a message panel to inform users about non-critical problems.
- Use a notification as system-triggered message to acknowledge about events out of the current context.
- Show a progress indicator for lengthy actions.
- Show a modal message dialog if the processing has reached an unexpected condition that needs interaction.
- Support the user by an elaborated interface or per help system.
- Default and minimal size
- Carefully place control according the KDE alignment style.
- Do not use color as primary method of communication.
Didn't find what you were looking for?
A guide to the guide can be found at the about page.
Our Human Interface Guidelines are a work in progress and we need your help. Visit the Contributing page to report problems or get involved.
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.