- Core usability goals, Use cases / User requirements, Task aggregation
- Personas, Scenarios, Usability criteria, Feature list
- Group box, Panel
- Use a List View to show some items out of one category.
- Tree view
- If you really need to create your own widget follow the guidelines for custom controls.
Editing and Manipulation
- Use a radio button for 1 of a few n selections.
- Use one or more check boxes for clear options or n of a few m selections.
- Use a list view for one or a few n of some m selections.
- Use a drop-down list for 1 of some n selection and a combo box if users should be able to add items.
- Use the dual list pattern for n of m selections.
- To enter one line of text use a line edit and for multiple lines of texts a text edit.
- Consider to provide inline editing with complex views.
- Use a Spin Box for numerical input within a range and with fix steps.
- Use a Slider for arbitrary changes within a defined range.
- (Under construction): Numeric input with both large changes and precise control: Slider and Spin Box
- Use Date and Time Pickers for formatted input of datum, time of day, or periods etc.
- Provide tool-tips for user driven information.
System triggered notification
- Provide a message panel to inform users about non-critical problems.
- Use a notification as system-triggered message to acknowledge about events out of the current context.
- Show a progress indicator for lengthy actions.
- Show a modal message dialog if the processing has reached an unexpected condition that needs interaction.
- Support the user by an elaborated interface or per help system.
- Default and minimal size
- Alignment & Placement
- Do not use color as primary method of communication.
Didn't find what you were looking for?
A guide to the guide can be found at the about page.
Our Human Interface Guidelines are a work in progress and we need your help. Visit the Contributing page to report problems or get involved.
Please add any guidelines questions or requests to the HIG Questions page.
Also see the Season of Usability HIG & Design Patterns Workspace.