Apps Menu Structure Proposal. I'd like to make apps menu more fine-grained by introducing submenus
- 1 Internet
- 2 Multimedia
- 3 Graphics
- 4 Education
- 5 Office
- 6 System Tools
- 7 Configuration
- 8 Engineering
File download and sharing
- <monitoring apps?>
Playing and Management
- <tag editors>
Creation and editing
- Open Movie Editor
- Wink screencasting
Viewing and Management
Creation and editing
Time management and Work Organization
- KTimeTracker (remove from menu -- present as plasmoid)
- Kalarm (remove from menu -- present as plasmoid?)
- <Syncing apps>
- <openoffice apps>
- <koffice apps>
- Strigi search
- <Accessibility apps>
- <backup app>
- <Version control tools?>
- if several apps fulfill the same function (i.e. konqueror, opera, firefox), then their title should be in form of %function% - %appname%: "Web-browser - Konqueror", and they should be listed consequently
- We need special entries in .desktop files determining the priority (Menu-Priority, Menu-Priority-KDE, Menu-Priority-Gnome).
- Because the order is important
- apps with Menu-Priotity above 100 constant could be visually separated by the line (they are the main apps in the category)
- apps with Menu-Priotity below 10 may be hidden at all (i.e. they are rarely used by an average user)
- If category has only 1 item, the item should be displayed instead of category
- Statistics is needed for this (simple voting?)
- 'Utilities' category isn't needed at all. For example, 'root terminal' should be in System.
- Plasmoids: a lot of small apps need to be turned into plasmoids.
- charselect should be callable from anywhere but K-Menu
- kcalc -- the same
- dictionary applet
I like the way desktop widgets are displayed in Mac OS X (easy accessible any moment - e.g. clock, calendar, calc)
Alternatively, instead of 'Office' we could use 'Desktop Publishing', putting 'Groupware (Kontact)' into 'Internet' +merge 'Graphics' to 'Multimedia':
- Play and Manage (amarok, tag editors)
- Create and edit (Audacity)
- Create and edit (kino, etc)
- View and Manage (Gwenview, Digikam)
- Create and edit (Krita, Kolourpaint, Gimp)
Critisism I recieved from [email protected] so far:
- .... submenus are bad. They do not seem very usable to me, especially when the structure is not evident: ...
- so it's better to look through all 10-20 entries (possibly in in each
category) before finding app that you need?
- there should be no more then ~5 items in each category
- This breaks traditional alphabetical order...
- alphabetical order is of small value when user doesnt know the name of the
app he/she is looking for.
- Somehow 11 items seems better than 4 submenus
- but I wrote only few apps, in real life there will be more apps
And they don't believe that the menu is for newcomers, experienced users use 'Search' field anyway.