This page is about the bookmarks system refactoring for 4.3 using Akonadi / Nepomuk. It's mostly Konqueror-centric, but we must keep in mind the bookmarks system is used by many applications.
Comments and ideas are welcome.
Current state of bookmarks
- Currently provided classes : KBookmark, KBookmarkGroup, KBookmarksManager and others.
- Many apps use it : Konqueror, Konsole, Kate, Okular, ... need to keep backwards compatibility.
- Bookmarks are stored in a per-application XBEL file, parsed by KBookmarksManager.
- Sync with online services / other sources
- Rating / tagging / other metadata
- Site snapshots storage
- Search by tag / metadata
- Full text indexing (stigi)
Other ideas to discuss
- Only use tags instead of folders. Epiphany does this, mitigated reactions
- Store it in mysql instead of files
- Merge bookmarks and history (to get history tagging / rating) : a bookmark may be a properly tagged history entry
- Ability to store a page (like the scrapbook firefox plugin)
The consensus seems to be :
- Akonadi to handle storage and sync
- Nepomuk to handle tagging / metadata
- reuse and extend existing kdelibs/kio API
We need to define :
- which one of Akonadi/Nepomuk we use to export data to standard KDE classes
- what is already done and what is to implement
| IN PROGRESS
|| del.icio.us ressource (in playground)
|| Robert Knight <firstname.lastname@example.org>
|| Local file ressource (in kdepim)
|| [mailto: <>]
|| Tagging of akonadi items