Network Management describes the interaction between the KDE desktop and the system's network information and configuration layers. This means:
- Informative functions: "Am I online"?
- Control functions: "Connect to to the internet using my WWAN card"
- Integration: Tell Konqueror when the computer is not connected to the Internet so it can automatically work in offline mode.
KDE Platform 4
Support in Solid for the informational parts of the NetworkManager interface is complete, in . Backends for NetworkManager 0.6 and 0.7 exist, in kdebase/workspace/solid/networkmanager-0.*. A backend for wicd is being worked on by Dario Freddi. Backends for other platforms would be welcome, contact the team for help on getting involved.
The user interface consists of a Plasma applet, a System Settings KCModule, and a kded module. It is a work in progress at playground/base/plasma/applets/networkmanager.
A rewrite of KNetworkManager for KDE 3 (by openSUSE) is nearly complete. This supports NetworkManager 0.7, which has a different interface to NetworkManager 0.6. More information can be found at the openSUSE KNetworkManager project page.
User feedback on KDE 3 KNetworkManager
extracted from bugs.kde.org
- Cleaner notifications on status change #132000
- More information in tooltip, including VPN connections #132151
- Show channel in tooltip #135054
- Found networks with ESSIDs with configured connections should show up in network list #133900
- Make passphrase entry more intuitive #142349
- Enable cancelling a connection #143259
- Attractive popup notifications [ http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=147519 #147519]
- Show network activity in system tray #148095
- Make hex the default WEP key type #151437
- Support WEP key indices #150926
- Indicate encrypted connection in tray #159673
- Support Ad-hoc mode #138882
- Make KWallet use optional #140332
- Make saving secrets optional #163551
- Provide a log of connection information #144819
- Import/export VPN connections #146159
KDE Platform 4 Architecture
see this blog entry for now
Applet Design and Usability
to be done
This page was last modified on 23 July 2010, at 13:37. This page has been accessed 17,141 times. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 3.0 as well as the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2.