Flash your n810 with the R&D version of Nokia OS
- Optional: Create backup on internal storage device (original state)
- Download flasher-3.0 and Nokia OS2008 to the computer you will be flashing the n810 from
- You will need your Product ID (MAC address) to download the Nokia OS. It can be found on your n810 in the Control Panel in About the product, or printed on your battery.
- Turn off your n810 and unplug the power supply; be sure it is fully charged
- Attach the USB cable to your n810 and computer.
- Flash with diablo
sudo ./flasher-3.0 -F RX-44_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
- When you get the message "Suitable USB device not found, waiting", plug the power supply in to the n810. The flashing will commence.
- When prompted, reboot the n810. You can also disconnect the USB cable.
Setup Partitions and Boot Menu
- After booting in to the freshly flashed system...
- Setup networking on the device; this may involve typing your WPA key if it is a secure network.
- Do NOT install the Nokia Operating System update that's offered by the flashing button in the top bar, that will cause a mismatch in the initfs version and you won't get the boot menu
- Open the Application manager and enable the maemo Extras repository
- Install openssh and set root password
- Optional: Create another backup (mainly as shortcut for enabling the extras repository
- As root, ssh into the n810. /sbin/ifconfig will tell you the associated IP address if you don't know it.
- Install wget and download install-tools-N810e.deb in to /root
apt-get install wget
- Unmount your external media card; if they are not already mounted you don't have to do this
- Install the n810 install tools. You cannot access the internal or external memory card in this process, otherwise you'll get an error from the clone package. Installing the package will repartition and formatsyour SD card and will ERASE all the data on it, so be careful when doing it. This process also clones the maemo system on the flash onto the SD card. When run successfully.
dpkg -i install-tools-N810e.deb
- If this process fails, it is probably because you didn't umount your external media. The medial is unmounted during this process so just try installing the install tools again.
- Reboot the n810
- During the boot up, hold the memory key (lower left on the drawer keyboard, right under the direction pad) and you'll get a boot menu. Choose the third option (External MMC card) to boot from SD, the first one will boot from flash.
- From your computer, use Kwrite or Kate, and point it to sftp://email@example.com/etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list and add Marijn's repos. Alternatively you can ssh in to the n810 and edit the file with vi. Here is my complete list of repositories:
deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified/ diablo user
deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/non-certified/ diablo user
deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/updates/diablo/ ./
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ diablo free non-free
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/ diablo free non-free
deb http://184.108.40.206/~marijn/maemo binary/
deb http://qt4.garage.maemo.org/ diablo extras
- SSH in to the n810 and update the package list
- Remove the install tools since you don't need them anymore
dpkg --purge install-tools-n810e
- Install KDE4. This should pull in all the necessary dependencies (75MB of packages) as well. I had to force install kdebase-workspace to start plasma on the device. You can do that from a remote ssh session with su user and setting the display export DISPLAY=:0.
apt-get install kdebase-workspace kdebase-runtime kdeplasma-addons
- If that all works, you can replace the hildon desktop with plasma. At the moment it crashes and reboots the n810, so you might not want to do this.
cd /usr/bin/ && mv hildon-desktop hildon-desktop-real && ln -s plasma hildon-desktop
This is an updated version of Sebas' HowTo.