This page lists more concrete steps to integrate online routing support. Code is currently available at http://nienhueser.de/git/marble.git
Routing providers (done)
Support data download from
- Google Maps
Marble Widget Layer (done)
- Make a custom routing paint layer which displays routing points: Start, destination, intermediate points. Waypoints, possibly connected. Routing instructions.
- Bonus points for
- Making the paint layer a QAbstractItemView working on the same model as the routing instructions list view and sharing the selection model with it
- Make source/destination points movable directly in the map
- Provide tooltips / unfolding for routing instructions
- Integrate the paint layer with MarbleWidget/MarbleMap. Extend LayerManager to support adding layers not via plugins.
Integrate with search UI (done)
- Merge UI in MarbleControlBox: Search via runners and routing can be done from the same widget similar to how Google Maps does it
- Default Search is pretty much the same, but has a "More" button which adds more search widgets (each representing one position to be included in the route)
- Search results are shown in the list view as before. The selected search result is kept track of and taken as the source/destination point.
- Once all routing points are known (user selected a search result or clicked on the map for both routing source and destination and intermediate points, if any), the "Get Directions" button can be used to fetch routing instructions from the current routing provider
- Routing results are shown in the same list view as marble runner search results
- Refactor marble runners to be plugins
- Refactor routing providers to be plugins
- Routing providers and marble runners share a common base
Nice to have
- Download progress indicators
- Support context menu in MarbleWidget
- Support routing customization: By car, by bycyle, ...
- Load routes via File -> Open Map
- Export routes to .gpx, .kml
- Support printing routes (map with waypoint layer and instructions)
Ask the oxygen guys if they can help out with some icons:
- route-start (Starting point for routing)
- route-destination (Destination point for routing)
- route-alternative (Ambiguous source/destination search string: User needs to pick one of several alternative points)
- route-instruction (Intermediate route point with turn instructions)
- route-select-start (Action to pick route start in the map. Might be equal to route-start)
- route-select-destination (Action to pick route destination in the map. Might be equal to route-destination)
- Check which routing providers can be shipped / enabled by default
- OpenRouteService allows non-commercial usage. Exact definition todo
- Google Maps cannot be used at all (license terms)
- CloudMade can possibly not be used (cumbersome pricing model)
- YourNavigation is currently too limited (server often busy, routing data only for UK? No route instructions atm, only waypoints)
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.