Classes will (mostly) be:
- A packager/uploader (Plasmagik)
- An Handler (Facility class created to manage files locally)
- A download GUI (Like the exixting one)
- A package manager (Like SK package manager)
- A class used to retrive *all* the information from a single entry (KNS::CompleteEntry)
- A model class to allow knewstuff integration into apps (It will contain all the informations availeable with the download dialog)
Bugs and regressions from 3.5
- Unsorted is not needed as there's no other option
- No feedback when something is downloaded, the user does not know when it is finished. => kmail-style progress bars
- In CoreEngine::slotInstallationVerification(int result) signalInstallationFinished() and signalInstallationFailed() are emitted but not connected anywhere.
- No feedback in the dialog that some items are already present (was done in 3.5 in the app by writing in config stuff entries then KNS picked that and displayed a green tick in the list)
- In KDE 3.5 this code is in void DownloadDialog::install(Entry *e) in downloaddialog.cpp
- The display of the list is slow, way slower than in KDE 3.5
- Engine Interface
- fix blocking / simple API
Programs using KNS for KDE 4.0
- Edu progs: KAnagram, KHangMan, KLettres, KStars, Parley, KWordQuiz
- System Settings: used it for background in KDE 3, there's no background module now because plasma came.
- Kopete is looking to using it
- Rename KNS::Entry, and, consequentially, KNS::CompleteEntry
What still needs to be done (getting rid of the above section)
- Merge DXS and GHNS download dialogs. Also check with usability guys.
- Add networking capabilities to Plasmagik.
- Finish the code for the metadata generation.
- The Handler, to locally manage packages.
- Write a cache removal strategy, that should be the last bit of the networking stuff.
- The CompleteEntry class, used also by the Handler, used to retrive all the availeable informations from an already downloaded package (needs to be written in a more detailed fashion)
- Anything else?
KNewStuff2 will store all the files in a specific dir. The layout of this dir, and all the related information can be found here.
Results of the IRC meeting / Tasklist
- Josef: add kmail-style progress bars for async download indication
- NN: link classes directly to tests to prevent unnecessary KNEWSTUFF_EXPORTs
- Josef: branches/work/knewstuff2/knewstuff-polishing
- re-enable test apps using cmake TEST parameter
- move KDXSView class from the library to the tests
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.