This is a list of projects to make KDE rock even more, as suggested by Ralf Gessellensetter on kde-devel, here.
Most of the suggestions are for new KDE-Edu projects. Although, some of them might not quite fit under KDE-Edu's scope.
Virtual graphical calculator
- Simulate a graphic pocket calculator as it is used within existing learning outlines. Many school books (grade 11+) refer to particular devices whose user interface resemble Derive. (cf. Schulzentrum Findorff)
- Popular game which is interculturally known and trains calculation skills http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominoes
- Simulations and activities to evoke interest in stochastic systems (grade 6-10; coin, cumulated freq.)
dynamic work sheets
- Different types of tasks to be combined as modules - to be either solved on the computer (like kpercentage) or to be printed as work sheet with definable heading - and solutions on demand. Maybe this needs a LaTeX binding.
- Intuitive GUI for maxima algebra system
- During "Linuxtage Essen" (Essen Linuxdays), some scientists addressed the lack of free interfaces to scientific gear such as thermometers, gyrometers, geigercounters, whatsoever. As a matter of fact, there are already loads of measuring tools - but it lacks integration and usabilities if we want to use them in school. This made me think: How about a framing project / application similar to ksensors? Existing implementations could dock into such framework. The framework itself could provide features like
- data recording
- data plotting
- statistical evaluations.
- Also popping into my mind is ksimus datarecorder as possible frontend. As it comes to realtime data, acoustic recorders could be another approach; http://www.qt4lab.org/screenshots.htm looks promising...
KDE Frontend to SWI-Prolog
- To render and query knowledge bases in a modern way. This might be solved by kdialog ("joining a katepart and a konsolepart with a QSplitter" - TSDgeos).
- Journey into the heart of a PC (Explore CPU, RAM, Busses...)
- Javakara for C++/Qt/KDE
- Interactive representation of voting results (Bundestag, Landtag, ...) to be updated from Wikipedia or other online resources.
- Equivalent to GrafStat (in German). Software to create surveys to be published on- and off-line. I assume it can also run stats on (and create graphs of) the data returned.
- An even better (Qt!) equivalent to gtkmorph / xmorph