| || |
==== Settings Menu ====
==== Settings Menu ====
Infoboxes Display toggles |+|
Toolbar display toggles |+|
Toolbar customization |+|
* Statusbar display toggles
* Statusbar display toggles
scheme toggles |+|
Field-of-view (FOV ) Symbol selector |+|
* FOV Editor
* FOV Editor
* Geographic Location [Ctrl+G]
* Geographic Location [Ctrl+G]
Revision as of 19:11, 5 December 2012
List of expected behaviors for KStars 4.10.
Please test these behaviors, and indicate whether it works correctly or not. Once a behavior has been tested, attach one of the following codes to the beginning of the line to indicate its status.
- No symbol or Black: behavior not yet tested
- * or Red: behavior causes KStars to crash
- X or Orange: behavior is broken
- B or Yellow: behavior sort-of works, or is buggy
- U or Cyan: Usability issue
- C or Green: behavior works correctly
- Moving the mouse shows the current sky coordinates of the mouse in the statusbar.
- Clicking the mouse identifies the nearest object in the statusbar; the object's "long name" is shown
- Hovering the mouse attaches a temporary label to the nearest object.
- Hover labels fade out when the mouse moves
- Hover labels only appear when the map is not in motion
- Double-clicking attaches a label to the nearest object, centers it in the display, and engages tracking.
- The double-click label is removed when the object is no longer centered
- Click-and-drag moves the map such that the cursor remains roughly in the same place in the sky.
- Dragging the sky disengages tracking
- Dragging the sky to one of the poles does not cause odd behavior
- Click-and-drag with Ctrl pressed draws a rectangle in the map that defines a new area to be displayed when the mouse button is released
- Click-and-drag with the middle mouse button zooms in and out according to the vertical motion of the mouse
- Scrolling the mouse wheel zooms in and out.
- Scrolling the mouse wheel while holding down Shift / Ctrl decreases the amount of zooming in / out.
- Right-click opens a context-sensitive popup menu for the object nearest the mouse cursor.
- Arrow keys: scroll the display. Holding Shift increases the speed
- [0-9] center on a major solar system body (0 is the sun, 3 is the moon; the rest are planets in order from Mercury to Pluto)
- [<,>] Advance clock forward/backward by one time step (clock will be paused if it isn't already)
- C: Track object
- D: Open the Details window
- L: Attach/Remove the label
- O: Add object to Observing List
- T: Attach/remove trail (solar system only)
- Pressing Shift targets action on the focused object, rather than the clicked object
Menu functions and keyboard shortcuts
If a menu action opens a window, the window's behavior is listed elsewhere. Just check to see if it opens here.
- Download new data [Ctrl+D]
- Save Sky image [Ctrl+I]
- Open FITS...
- Printing Wizard
- Run script [Ctrl+R]
- Print [Ctrl+P] (print dialog opens)
- Quit [Ctrl+Q]
- Set time to now [Ctrl+E]
- Set time [Ctrl+S]
- Start/Stop clock
- Zenith [Z]
- North [N]
- East [E]
- South [S]
- West [W]
- Set focus manually [Ctrl+M]
- Find object [Ctrl+F]
- Engage/Stop tracking [Ctrl+T]
- Zoom in [Ctrl+=]
- Zoom out [Ctrl+-]
- Pressing Ctrl+- or Ctrl+= while holding down Shift / Ctrl decreases the amount of zooming in / out.
- Default zoom [Ctrl+Z]
- Zoom to angular size [Ctrl+Shift+Z]
- Full-screen mode [Ctrl+Shift+F]
- Horizontal/Equatorial Coordinates [Space]
- Projections sub-menu (test switching only here)
[NOTE: These features require that KStars be compiled with INDI support]
- Help button displays KStars hand book.
- Next/Back buttons work.
- Listed telescopes reflect system + user added telescopes.
- Setting Time and Location open the appropriate dialog boxes and perform the correct time or location updates.
- Setting port name initiate a scan for that specific port, whereas leaving the port empty initiates a complete auto port scan. Both actions can be canceled at any time.
- Automatic port scan.
- Telescope list reflect system & user added telescope.
- Selecting a telescope update all property fields.
- Removing a telescope shows a confirmation box.
- Saving updated properties works.
INDI Control panel
Capture image sequence
- Capture image sequence is automatically enabled when a new capturing device is connected via INDI.
- Prefix, count, and ISO time stamp is incorporated into the filename when selected.
- Filter selection.
- Calculator [Ctrl+C]
- Sky Calendar
- Moon Phase Calendar
- Observation Plannar [Ctrl+L]
- Altitude vs. Time [Ctrl+A]
- What's Up Tonight [Ctrl+U]
- Glossary [Ctrl+K] <<disabled>>
- Script Builder [Ctrl+B]
- Solar System [Ctrl+Y]
- Jupiter's Moons [Ctrl+J]
- Info Boxes
- Toolbars Shown
- Tool Customization
- Statusbar display toggles
- Color Schemes
- FOV Symbols
- Switch to OpenGL Backend
- Define Equipment
- FOV Editor
- Geographic Location [Ctrl+G]
- Configure KStars
- Startup Wizard
- KStars Handbook [F1]
- What's this? 
- Report Bug
- About KStars
- About KDE
- Zoom in/out
- Find object...
- Stop/Start clock
- Timestep widget
- Toggle Stars
- Toggle deep sky bjects
- Toggle Solar system objects
- Toggle Satellites
- Toggle constellation lines
- Show constellation boundaries
- Show Milky Way
- Toggle Equatorial Coodinate Grid
- Toggle Horizontal Coordinate Grid
- Toggle Opaque Ground
- Toggle Supernovae
Centering and tracking
- Center+Track on object (double-click, popup menu, click then press "C")
- Center+Track on empty sky (double-click, popup menu)
- If requested position moves display below horizon, confirm dialog is shown
- If startup position is below horizon, recenter dialog is shown
- Information in "Focus" InfoBox updates correctly when recentering
- Displayed with semi-transparent backgound
- Highlight color on click
- "Shade" on double-click
- Move on drag
- Collision avoidance works
- "Stick" to screen edges
- Remember position and shade-state on restart
- Show all available schemes, incl. predefined and custom
- All color settings change upon selecting a new scheme
- Color settings persistent on reload
- Custom scheme appears in menu after creating in in the Configure dialog
- Custom scheme is removed from menu if it is removed in the Configure dialog
Download new data
- Dialog displays all available download items (Steinicke NGC catalog, Ephemerides, Messier catalog thumbnails, Thumbnails for details window, updated DST rules)
- Each item gets downloaded and installed correctly
- File open dialog displays only FITS files.
- FITS image is opened and displayed properly.
- Image coordinates, pixel value, image dimensions, and zoom value are displayed in status bar.
- Undo/Redo work
- Zoom in/out, Default zoom
- FITS header
- Closing without save issues a warning dialog
- Save and Save As work
- Range of pixel values can be updated with edit boxes or by dragging the blue/red symbols: red symbol not draggable in initial position
Save sky image
- Saves image to file: Doesn't seem to save GIF 
- Image matches screen display (without FOV or infobox overlays)
- Executes the selected script.
- Statusbar messages indicate script is running/finished.
- Prints image of current skymap (without infoboxes or FOV symbols)
- Ask to reset color scheme if background is not white
- Color scheme is properly reset for printing, and reverted afterward
- Simulation clock is set to selected time
- Selected date displayed properly in calendar widget
- It is not possible to select an invalid date
Set focus manually
- Setting RA/Dec coordinates works
- Setting Az/Alt coordinates works
- Filter by name works
- Filter by type works
- Highlighted object is centered in map when user hits return or presses Ok
- Dialog message when a match fails; window does not close
- Up/Down arrow keys navigate the list of objects
Zoom to angular size
- Zoom is set to display the angle entered
- Min/max values make sense
FOV symbol editor
- Selected symbol is shown in preview pane
- Creating a new symbol works
- Editing an existing symbol works
- Removing a symbol works
- Set Geographic location works
- Download Extra Data works
- Selected image is shown; window is sized to fit image
- Authorship and copyright in statusbar
- Save button works
Note: changes in the modules are not reflected until the widget loses input focus. This may not be ideal, but doing immediate updates doesn't work. Consider the JD module. Let's say I want to clear the current number and enter a new one. As soon as I delete the text, it would try to process the blank line as a date. Then if I typed a "2", it would try to use that. Basically, there needs to be a way to indicate that you are done editing.
- Julian Day calculator works correctly, both ways.
- Sidereal Time Calculator works correctly, both ways.
- Information displayed in the Almanac seems correct.
- Equinoxes and Solstices displayed are correct
- Equatorial to Galactic Coords conversion works
- Conversion from Equatorial to Horizontal coordinates is accurate
- Horizontal Coordinates UI
- Ecliptic Coordinates tool UI
- Data shown in the ecliptic coordinates tool seems accurate
- Angular distance tool UI works as expected
- Angular distances reported seem accurate
- Geodetic coordinates UI works as expected
- Data displayed by Geodetic coordinates tool seems correct
- LSR Velocity tool UI works as expected
- LSR Velocity tool seems to produce correct results
- Planet Coordinates tool UI behaves as expected
- Planet coordinates shown seem accurate
- Conjunctions tool UI behaves as expected
- Conjunctions tool reports all conjunctions correctly
- Removing an object named "star"
- Selecting by magnitude in wizard [count not updated properly]
AAVSO light curves
- Star name and designation lists are synchronized properly.
- Downloading new list from AAVSO updates the stars lists.
- Retrieve Curve buttons downloads and displays the light curve correctly.
Altitude vs. time
What's up tonight
- Almanac data are correct
- Displays objects that are visible on the given date, from the given location
- Changing the Date works, and updates the list of objects and almanac
- Changing the Location works, and updates the list of objects and almanac
- Selecting Evening/Morning/All Night works, and updates the list of objects
- Selected object is displayed in right panel correctly
- The Rise/Set/Transit data are correct
- Center Object button works
- Details button works
- Displays object information
- Testing Resource links works
- Editing Resource links works
- Removing resource links works
- Interacting with online databases works
- Displays list of images found via Google image search
- Selecting an image from the list displays it in the viewer
- Editing the image works
- Closing the window places the selected image in the Details window
- KIO jobs are terminated in the console after quitting KStars
- Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area
- Azimuthal Equidistant
Use this section to add issues discovered while testing the program that are not listed above.
- KStars doesn't know my city's coordinates, while Marble does. Could not they share the a common datasheet with cities' positions?
A: Will bring in Marble Widget eventually
Add footnotes describing issues noted in the main list here.
: A lot of widgets have undefined what's this help.
: It is possible to set type invalid date and press OK, but this will not change the time and date.
: Tracking at high zoom sometimes "shakes" the display periodically. This has nothing to do with atmospheric refraction.
: Saving the image works and the image can be seen, but if the image is saved in the Desktop folder it is not saved at all.