Projects/Edu/KStars/Building KStars KF5
This page is a community effort to document the procedure to build the KDE Frameworks 5 version of KStars on various platforms and environments.
Why build from source?
Typically, you would want to build KStars from source if you plan to develop KStars, or stay on the bleeding edge and contribute valuable feedback.
To build and develop KStars, several packages may be required from your distribution. Here's a list.
- GNU Make, GCC -- Essential tools for building
- cmake -- buildsystem used by KDE
- QtBase, QtDeclarative, QtSvg
- Several KDE Frameworks: KConfig, KDocTools, KGuiAddons, KWidgetsAddons, KNewStuff, KDBusAddons, KI18n, KInit, KJobWidgets, KIO, KWindowSystem, KXmlGui, KPlotting, KTextEditor, KIconThemes
- eigen -- linear algebra library
- zlib -- compression library
- libcfitsio -- FITS library
- libindi -- Instrument Neutral Distributed Interface, for controlling equipment.
Installing these packages
To install all of these, use the following commands:
Debian / Kubuntu
sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake qtdeclarative5-dev libkf5config-dev kdoctools5 libkf5guiaddons-dev libkf5widgetsaddons-dev libkf5newstuff-dev libkf5dbusaddons-dev libkf5i18n-dev libkf5init-dev libkf5jobwidgets-dev kio-dev libkf5windowsystem-dev libkf5xmlgui-dev libkf5plotting-dev libkf5texteditor-dev libkf5iconthemes-dev libeigen3-dev libcfitsio3-dev zlib1g-dev libindi-dev
Documentation on building various versions
KStars development happens on KDE's git repository. (Git is an open-source version control software.). The code on git is the bleeding-edge developers' version of KStars. It does break occasionally.
1) create and change into a KDE development directory:
mkdir ~/kde; cd ~/kde
2) to fetch the KStars source code:
git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kstars
3) create and change into a build directory for compilation:
mkdir build; cd build
4) run the configure process with cmake:
cmake ../kstars -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/kde/usr
5) compile KStars:
6) finally install KStars:
That’s all! This installs KStars locally into the separate directory ~/kde/usr, so that your global KDE installation will not be touched at all.
You can keep your copy up-to-date by typing `git pull --rebase` in ~/kde/kstars. Feel free to send patches to our mailing list [email protected] And join #kde-edu on irc.kde.org :–)