This page is a guide to new KDE contributors who want to create software.
There are several entry points to this path. If you are not an experienced
developer, but are willing to give it a try, start at the top. A more
experienced developer could start with the introductory Qt or KDE
tutorials, whereas an experienced C++/Qt developer could skip up to
learning about the Pillars of KDE.
- Creating plasmoids with scripts Learn how to create simple plasmoids with QtScript and python. No compiling required.
- Creating Application plugins and scripts Learn to create plugins for Kig, koffice, and other KDE applications. No compiling required.
- Basics of KDE applications Learn to create a simple KDE application in C++. This series introduces several aspects of the KDE framework, so would be useful even for seasoned C++ developers to read.
- Fixing bugs and sending patches Once you understand the basics of how kde applications are built, it's time to start improving it.
- Join a team Work together with other KDE developers. Join the Plasma team! Or the KDE-PIM team! Or the KDE EDU team! Or the KDE Games team! Or ...
- How to use CMake Get to understand the KDE build system and the layout of the KDE Software Distribution and buildsystem
- Tour of Qt and KDE frameworks For greater integration, KDE uses replacements for some Qt modules and classes.
- Development Tools and tips Learn to use the tools to create KDE software.
- Writing translatable code
- Writing API documentation
- Writing portable Code
- Getting your application to the users Put your application on kde-apps.org, or in the official KDE modules.
- Design patterns Understanding some of the patterns found in Qt and KDE.
This is a list of resources to help you along the way to making valuable
contributions to KDE. This is not required reading, or mailing lists you
must subscribe to, but just a list of where to go for help.
Links and Documentation
Free licenced book on fundamentals of C++
- [Design Patterns] Gang of Four book describing many object orientated
patterns found in qt/kde
This page was last modified on 30 December 2008, at 15:09. This page has been accessed 1,605 times. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 3.0 as well as the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2.