Tutorials are the fastest way of finding out what KDE will do for you, and how to do it. Here is a list of currently available tutorials for KDE3 development.
|If you are working with a newer version of KDE, such as KDE4, these tutorials are probably of limited use to you. For tutorials covering current KDE development topics, visit the main tutorials page|
- Qt Designer and KDevelop 3.0 for Beginners (Original Link)
- Qt is the toolkit used by the KDE project for developing graphical applications. Currently, translations are available through the original link. This paper, written by Anne-Marie Mahfouf, shows a beginner how to create a simple application using Qt Designer 3 and KDevelop 3. This tutorial is based on an application written by Jono Bacon and has been reviewed by Daniel Molkentin (for the KDevelop 2 version) and Thomas Nagy. Translations to German, Russian, French, Italian, and Romanian available at the original site. Brought to you by KDE-Women.
- KDE 3.0 Tutorial
- An excellent tutorial by KDE developer Antonio Larrosa Jiménez leading you from nothing to a fairly full featured web browser. Highly recommended for KDE 3.0 developers.
- Programming Tutorial for KDE 3
Components and Plugins
- KDE User Interface Tutorial (XML GUI)
- Tutorial by KDE developer Kurt Granroth showing how to convert an existing KDE application to use the new XML based user interface builder.
- Creating KParts Component
- Tutorial on IBM DeveloperWorks, by David Faure shows developers how to create KParts components, under KDE 2 and KDE 3.
- Developing a Plugin Structure for a KDE Applications
- This tutorial will take you through all the steps needed to write a plugin structure, plus plugins for your KDE application.
- Providing file meta-data support with KFile plugins
- Tutorial by Brad Hards that describes how to write a meta-data plugin for your favourite file format. It is presented as an example based tutorial.
- Embedded Components Tutorial
- Tutorial by KDE developer Kurt Granroth showing how to convert an existing KDE application into a component suitable for embedding in Konqueror.
- How to write Kontact plugins
- Kontact plugins
File Access with KIO
- KIO Tutorial (German version)
- Tutorial by KDE developers Carsten Pfeiffer and Stephan Kulow for the c't Magazine, giving an introduction into the KDE IO Architecture and an example KIO Slave.
- Using IOSlaves
- IOSlaves are the subprocesses KDE uses to fetch remote files without blocking the user interface. This document discusses how they work and how to use them.
- (Somewhat dated, but might still be useful).
Components and Plugins
- Extending the KDE Panel
- This tutorial teaches you how to implement a simple panel applet using the panel applet API. It is a suitable task for an introduction to KDE programming.
- KWin decoration styles
- Tutorial on creating decoration plugins for the KWin window manager (KDE 3.2 and later).
Scripting and Application Automation
- Creating a DCOP Interface
- This tutorial shows you how to create a DCOP interface to a KDE application.
- Connect KDE applications using DCOP
- IBM DeveloperWorks tutorial, shows how to use kdcop and dcop with several examples such as instantly messaging a contact in kopete when he comes online, and also how to create a simple DCOP-aware application.