Good morning! If this is the first time you're taking part in a bug triage, don't be scared by the amount of explanatory text on this page. We hope it's easily understandable - if it isn't bug us on IRC :-)
This is the page for KonquerorDay7 which starts on Saturday, June 20, 2009, but feel free to start early and feel free to keep going! The aim of this bug day is to
a) Triage: organize as many of the Konqueror bugs as possible, identifying duplicate bug reports and already fixed bugs
b) Testcases: Make testcases for the rendering bugs that have been filed.
c) Prioritize bugs to fix: Go through a list of websites and check how well they work. Keep an eye out for MAJOR bugs.
Our bug targets are listed in bugs.kde.org under the product konqueror. (That link gives component breakdown.)
You don't need any programming experience to help out with Triaging, but you will need a recent version of KDE, either svn trunk (4.2.92 atm), a snapshot of it (Neon Nightly, etc.), or a recent release (eg. KDE 4.3beta2). Information on setting up KDE from trunk can be found here. If you're having trouble installing KDE, feel free to drop by on #kde-bugs early to get some help. Else, #kde-devel can always help you.
- This page has useful information on how to not mis-mark bugs. In particular, "duplicates are hard". Generally we don't want to claim things are duplicates when they aren't. Make sure you get approval from a developer before you mark something a duplicate. We don't want to create more work for the developers!
- Be sure to join #kde-bugs on irc.freenode.net, as this is where the bug-day will be coordinated. (You can even join now!)
First of all, put your name and the version of KDE/Konqueror (ie kdelibs and kdebase should be the same version) you are testing with into the Sign-in section. Then read the descriptions of the various sections to file bugs in carefully.
We are in search of bugs which are easy enough to fix for someone just starting out developing for KDE. Those kinds of bugs are called "Junior Jobs". If you think a bug sounds really easy to fix so it might qualify as a junior job, please put it in the "Junior Job Proposals" section. They will later be checked by the developers if they really fit the scheme. In case a developer is around, you might as well ask right away.
- Select one of the batches of bugs you'd like to do and pick it by putting your name into the appropriate column.
- Execute the query to get the list of bugs and go through the bugs one by one.
- Read the bug description and the comments carefully and try to reproduce the bug.
- Post a comment on bugzilla explaining what you found out. Be sure to also put the version of Konqueror and Qt you are testing with in the comment.
- Put the bug into the appropriate section and describe your findings here as well (eg. "Can't reproduce any longer" or "This bug is still reproducible for me"). If there's something special about a bug, you can prepend a little label like eg. crash. Please mark every bug with your IRC nickname. You can easily do that by appending ~~~.
- Check if the bug's Version field is set properly. The version field for Konqueror's khtml bugs should always contain the original version the bug is/was reproducible with (i.e. when it was reported).
- Check if the bug's component is set correctly. It will be of great help when checking for duplicates. If you lack permissions to change the component or are unsure about it, please put the bugs in the "needs component change" section along with a comment.
- Check if the bug might qualify as a "Junior Job". If so, please put it in the "Junior Job Proposal" section.
- Mark the bug as triaged by adding the triaged keyword on the bug. Again if you lack the permissions to do so, additionally put it in the "Needs triaged keyword" section.
- If you're done with your batch, pick another one and start from the top :-)
Some bugs might have a short html file that gives an example of the bug. Add the testcase keyword. If you lack permissions to do so, additionally add the bug to the "Needs testcase keyword" section.
If it is a rendering bug, and it doesn't have one, put it in the wiki section "needs testcase" for someone to write one.
For bugs involving webpages, if the site doesn't exist anymore, check the "Wayback Machine" on http://archive.org - if you see it there, use that to come up with a testcase.
If something has no clear instructions on how to reproduce it, or has little useful information, add a comment asking the reporter for more detail. Then list it in the bugs awaiting feedback section. Be polite, we want to be nice to our bug reporters!
Is it a big bug?
Prioritizing is good. We're especially interested in problems that result in dataloss and crashes. Let's keep track of them.
Please list bugs here to get a second opinion before making the change in bugzilla. This also gives a record of what we've done for the developers to check.
Keep this page updated!
After adding triaged bugs on this page, you should keep an eye on their bugzilla status. Add yourself on the CC field in bugzilla to be informed about updates. When a bug is closed on bugzilla, it should be updated on this page.
You can use the tag <s>...</s> to mark a bug as done
- You can edit single sections of this page if you you check Enable section editing via edit links in your TechBase Preferences.
- Sometimes you might encounter edit conflicts if several people are working on the wiki page at once. We can mostly avoid those by keeping notes of the bugs we encounter in a text editor and file several of them later at once (don't forget to save).
|Please be sure to sign every bug or comment you add to this page with your irc nickname. You can use the wiki markup ~~~ to insert your wiki username automatically (but only do this if it is the same as your IRC nickname, otherwise write your IRC nickname in by hand).|
There are some bugs which are commonly reported several times. If you found such a bug (or think you did), you can put it here:
Tell developers what you are testing with. (If you expect to upgrade between now and BugDay, put what version you are using now next to the bugs/comments that you put on this page.)
Please give distro/version or SVN branch/trunk with revision below (or just beta2 if you're using that):
|| KDE/Konq version
|| Qt version
|| svn 984123
|| 4.5.0 qt-copy with patches
| someone else
|| svn 123354/134325
Division of Labour
Please choose a batch that is not already taken and then query bugs.kde.org for all bugs in that batch. Please mark you irc nickname in the table below to show which month's bugs you are working on to avoid duplication of effort.
If you have to leave before you can finish your batch, please put the last bug you triaged as well as if you're going to finish triaging in the table so others will know where you left off.
|With these more recent bugs, if the report has been looked at by a developer (i.e. they cc'd themself or commented on it or posted a patch), and it seems like the issue is fixed, BUT the developer didn't close it, make sure the bug really can be closed. Often it can't.|
The following bugs are related to displaying webpages using Konqueror.
The following bugs are related to anything non-html.
Bugs that need changes that require permissions
If you put a bug into this section, please be sure you additionally put it into the appropriate Completed Bugs section.
Bugs to be marked as TRIAGED
We use this keyword to keep track of how which bugs people have done. You should add it to all bug reports you comment on.
Bugs to be marked as having a testcase
Contribute/Bugsquad/BugDays/KonquerorDay7/Bugs needing version field changed
Bugs needing moved to a subcomponent
Below lists the various sections for completed bugs, sorted by resolution and other issues.
Bugs no longer present
If a bug is not reproducable for you, then it should be listed here. Please do not close the bug. We'll double-check each others later on. It will probably get closed as WORKSFORME. (FIXED if you knew which commit fixed it, and that it was an actual intentional commit somewhere.)
If it isn't a consistently reproducible bug, it may be not there only with your setup, or you haven't hit the right conditions. Check to see if there are developer comments and if they think it should be left open. Add to your notes here if you aren't sure.
bug #xxx blah Blauzahl
bug #67623 Implemented in KDE 4 edulix
bug #77868 Implemented in KDE 4 edulix
bug #101529 The user itself recognizes that it worksforme edulix
- bug #101530 Needs more info edulix Should be in waiting for info section? --Jtamate 11:53, 22 June 2009 (UTC)
bug #127797 Konqueror now has support for saving and restoring current session edulix
bug #157326 Resolved when I improved session saving in Konqueror sometimeago edulix
- bug #179290 Links opened from Konsole and Kmail just fine siyuan.
- Just to be sure. Did you tried also running the command in a desktop where there is no konqueror running? --Jtamate 11:53, 22 June 2009 (UTC)
- If you are referring to the behaviour of opening a new instance when there's a pre-existing instance found in the another desktop, but not the current, then it is just like what comment #5 in the bug report has described. siyuan 23:45, 22 June 2009 (UTC)
bug #179557 Konqueror doesn't crash with the given website siyuan
bug #179668 Konqueror/website respects the language setting in KDE siyuan WORKSFORME dtritscher
bug #180273 Konqueror doesn't crash in split view siyuan WORKSFORME dtritscher
- bug #180394 Konq now passes the URI to external applications, so they can take care of downloading. dtritscher
- bug #180729 Site works fine in standalone konqueror, embedded view is not used in kdevelop4 anymore and therefore can't be tested. dtritscher
bug #181034 Page renders fine in konq 4.2.90 dtritscher Works for me. Ruchir
bug #182524 Page doesn'T crash konq 4.2.90/4.2.92 freinhard DUPLICATE
bug #182406 return submits form on checkboxes, radio buttons and inputfields => perfectly fine.freinhard
- bug #179907 rendering thing that is fine now 4.2.92, afaik Blauzahl
- links doesn't work after letter 'B' using r984009 dtritscher
bug #182845 Works fine with konq 4.2.90 dtritscher Works for me as well. Ruchir
- bug #184359 Page renders fine in konq 4.2.90 dtritscher
- bug #9492 Setting foreground color from the View menu is ... xxtjaxx
- bug #7759 indication that embedded views are read-only xxtjaxx
- bug #6184 konqueror: "File Already Exists" is not extreme... xxtjaxx
- bug #6871 save as should offer (plain) text save as should offer (plain) text xxtjaxx
bug #184517 works fine in konq 4.2.90 dtritscher Here also.Ruchir
- bug #184798 keydown is properly canceld in konq 4.2.90 dtritscher
bug #185880 renders fine in KDE 4.2.91 xxtjaxx
- bug #184826 Hotmail works fine using konqueror 4.2.90 dtritscher
bug #185942 html/plain text view worked fine just another winows hack tthey tried to get working xxtjaxx WORKSFORME dtritscher
- bug #193463 fix provided but not committed yet. freinhard
- bug #186132 seems like a failure in the page ratheer than KHTML doesn't appear in 4.2.91 xxtjaxx
- bug #186428 no clipping in KDE 4.2.91 xxtjaxx
- bug #187839 Ads shown in KDE 4.2.91 correctly xxtjaxx
- bug #187343 KWallet integration worked nicely. anselmolsm
- bug #187473 Couldn't reproduce the crash reported. anselmolsm
- bug #188815 As said in the report happened only once and didnt occure again xxtjaxx
- bug #193302 Couldn't reproduce the crash reported. Freinhard
- bug #187597 Couldn't reproduce the crash reported. anselmolsm
bug #194043 not reproducible, looks like this got fixed. testcase provided. Freinhard Can't reproduce Ruchir
- bug #167663 Likely to have been already fixed, marked as REMIND. Edulix
- bug #170717 Bug no longer present in KDE 4 Edulix
- bug #171500 Bug fixed in trunk Edulix
- bug #179746 Cannot reproduce. aalpert
bug #179888 Cannot reproduce. aalpert Can't reproduce Ruchir
- bug #180067 Cannot reproduce. aalpert
bug #196058 Checkbox now visible, fixed. anselmolsm I can also see checkbox. Ruchir
- bug #191686 Rendering works ok for me.. Am I missing something? Dario_Andres
- bug #191459 I can't reproduce the hang described. Did the site changeD? Dario_Andres
- bug #192176 Repeated the scenario with no problems.anselmolsm
- bug #192308 Can't reproduce anselmolsm
- bug #190257 Repeated reproducing instruction. Bug appears fixed in SVN. MJD
- bug #180279 I think this is fine, we'll see if they disagree RSN, otherwise, close with REMIND imo. Blauzahl
- bug #192842 Benchmark finished sucessfully anselmolsm
- bug #192260 Buttons aren't so small (i.e. difficult to click on) as reported anselmolsm
- Buttons are comparatively smaller but big enough to click, can we close this? Ruchir
- bug #194291 didnt see any repainting issues xxtjaxx
- bug #194874 tested with kde.bugs.org no problem for up to 20 tabs xxtjaxx
- bug #157280 Renders identical to firefox except minor font size difference. Ruchir
bug #157401 Can't reproduce. Ruchir
- bug #158039 Works fine here. Ruchir
- bug #158344 Works fine here. Ruchir
- bug #158330 Works fine here. But want someone to confirm. Ruchir
- bug #159517 Images look same in firefox & konqueror. Ruchir
- bug #160087 Not reproducible. Ruchir
- bug #160784 Not reproducible. Ruchir
Some bugs aren't actually bugs, just functionality that isn't there. Those should get moved to "wishlist" priority.
Bugs with testcases
Note: not instructions, actual *testcases*
Usually these will be a snippet of code that reproduces and isolates the bug.
Bugs that NEED TESTCASES
This is actually major work. We should list things which could have testcases, so that we can have people who can write some, do so. Put down if you think it is an important bug too, since making a testcase can take a while: on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being most important, how important is the bug to be fixed by 4.3?
Bugs that still exist and have clear instructions
If it is still there, and makes sense, list it here. In bugzilla, make sure it is changed from UNCONFIRMED to NEW.
Contribute/Bugsquad/BugDays/KonquerorDay7/Bugs to be marked as RESOLVED
Bugs to be marked as INVALID
Bugs which are no longer valid go here. A link to the bug and why it qualifies as invalid should be provided.
Some examples of when a bug should be closed as INVALID:
- The reported behavior is not a bug
- The bug is completely unrelated to KDE
This list is not exhaustive. If you feel a bug is invalid for any other reason, be sure to list it here, mentioning why you think it is invalid.
Bugs to be marked as DUPLICATE
Duplicates found should be placed here with a link to the bug which you think it is a duplicate of.
Bugs needing users with particular setups
Bugs that require particular software or hardware that you don't have available should be listed here with a description of the non-standard requirement.
Non english locales
Bugs requiring non-English locales should be listed here, along with the locale they require.
Bugs needing attention from Konqueror developers
Add bugs here if you need to find out whether the observed behavior is intended, or if there's some other reason that it would be useful for a Konqueror developer to take a look. Make sure you indicate why the bug needs attention from them.
|Always defer policy decisions to developers.|
Rendering bugs (khtml)
- bug #181194 Should nested <object> elements be rendered both? Issue here is about two nested quicktime objects. dtritscher
- bug #179290 Links opened from Konsole and Kmail just fine. Note comment #5 in the bug report states that a new instance of Konqueror is opened when a pre-existing instance is in a different virtual desktop. This has always been the behaviour since KDE3, however, whether it is a good thing is to be decided by the developers. siyuan
- bug #179561 Reproducible, however, whether this is really a regression is to be decided by the developers siyuan
- bug #184384 According to the backtrace, the crash is related to the bespin style, needs verification from dev dtritscher
- bug #189890 The bug report is correct, when F5 is pressed the parameter is not sent. However, This behaviour may be desired as when you refresh the page the cache is cleared so there isn't really a modification time to test with. MJD
- bug #160428 Looping of js alert messages can make konqueror unusable. Firefox given chance to close problematic tab. Ruchir
- bug #157454 Scrolling in website is not good but not sure if it is something to be fixed. Ruchir
Bugs awaiting feedback
NB. Feedback should only be requested for bugs if you have tried and failed to reproduce them or if the report contains insufficient information to try and reproduce the bug. Requesting feedback for a bug should be seen as a last resort only.
Bugs for which feedback has been requested, which should be revisited in 30 days to see if there's any response. Please list all bugs here for which feedback has been requested.
People almost by default file their bugs under Konqueror:
Bugs that are not related to today's target application should be listed here so they can be reassigned to the correct bugzilla product.
Bugs that you can't do
For whatever reason... Put it here, and someone can comment on it.