This bug day will take place on Sunday, October 10th 2010, but feel free to start early. The aim of this bug day is to get as many KWin-related bugs done as possible. Our target for triage is bugs listed in bugs.kde.org under the product KWin.
Goals of this Bug Day
- Check if bugs reported for KWin which are previously UNCONFIRMED are reproducible.
- If a bug's description is somewhat unclear, try to provide a better step-by-step procedure on how to reproduce it. This will make it easier for developers to find and fix the bug.
- Some bugs may not be reproducible on every installation of KDE. Thus we use a 4-eye principle, having at least 2 triagers look at the bugs before we make any changes on the bugs themselves.
- Some more information on how to mark bugs can be found on This page.
- Be sure to join #kde-bugs on irc.freenode.net, as this is where the bug-day will be coordinated. (You can even join now!)
- You should be working with KDE SC 4 (either 4.5 or newer, preferably 4.5.2 or SVN trunk) for testing these bugs.
|Always make a note on the bug of what the status is in the version you are testing with (be explicit as to what version of 4 you are using, mentioning whether it is a source build and which distro the packages come from).|
Is it a big bug?
Prioritizing is good. If a major application doesn't work, this should be taken care of.
Keep an eye on what the "Version:" fields say in Bugzilla. If it says "unspecified", change the version field to match what the report says, i.e. to match version the bug was first reported in. Do not change the version number if it is currently set as a number! (ex. from 4.0 to 4.2)
Keep this page updated!
After adding triaged bugs on this page, you should keep an eye on their bugzilla status. Add yourself on the CC field in bugzilla to be informed about updates. When a bug is closed on bugzilla, it should be updated on this page.
You can do this with the tag <s>...</s>
Please select a period of bugs from the Division of Labour section below and mark your name next to it and mark it with your irc nickname to show that you are working on it. When you have completed all the bugs in that section, please mark it as complete.
For each bug, try and reproduce it as described in the report. Then list it in the appropriate section below. If you wish to close or mark as duplicate a bug, please list it here even if you have the bugzilla permissions to do so, in order to get a second opinion from another triager. This will help to reduce the number of incorrect actions taken on bugs.
Tell developers what you are testing with. (If you expect to upgrade between now and Bug Day, put what version you are using now next to the bugs/comments that you put on this page.)
Please give distro/version or SVN branch/trunk with revision below:
|| KDE version used for testing
|| KDE 4.5.2, ArchLinux
|Please be sure to sign every bug or comment you add to this page with your irc nickname. You can use the wiki markup ~~~ to insert your wiki username automatically (but only do this if it is the same as your IRC nickname, otherwise write your IRC nickname in by hand).|
Division of Labour
Please choose a batch that is not already taken and then query bugs.kde.org for all bugs in that batch. Please mark you irc nickname in the table below to show which batches bugs you are working on to avoid duplication of effort.
| 2 || 20 || || || Query
| 3 || 20 || || || Query
| 4 || 20 || || || Query
| 5 || 20 || || || Query
| 6 || 20 || || || Query
| 7 || 20 || || || Query
| 8 || 20 || || || Query
| 9 || 20 || || || Query
| 10 || 20 || || || Query
| 11 || 20 || || || Query
| 12 || 20 || || || Query
| 13 || 20 || || || Query
| 14 || 20 || || || Query
| 15 || 20 || || || Query
| 16 || 20 || || || Query
Below lists the various sections for completed bugs. This aids everyone in double checking each other's work. In addition this allows those of us that don't have bugzilla permissions to list bugs so that the folks with the permissions can follow up.
Please note that this is an experimental layout designed to reduce the number of edit conflicts on this page. Each section is its own subpage. The best way to work with this is to enable section editing by going to "My preferences" > "editing" > "Enable section editing via  links". When you click edit you will automatically edit the subpage.
Bugs needing Version Field changed
If you don't have bugzilla permissions yet, you can't change version fields. Put what needs changing here and someone else will go through and do it for you.
Valid bugs with step-by-step instructions
If it is a deterministic bug, put it here. Make sure it has instructions. You should be able to verify it. (Write that you did on bugzilla and include your version information.)
bug #189241 - I've the inverse problem: When the menu on the system tray is opened, The shadow appears only after some seconds and only if I've hovered a menu with a sub-menu: When the submenu is closed the shadows appears FiNeX
bug #135057 - Application sometimes starts on a different desktop FiNeX
bug #133179 - Not a bug. IMHO the behaviour is correct. The second time you click on the mp3 file, The command called for reproduce it doesn't start a new audacious/xmms istance but it append the file on the playlist so keeping the focus on the file manager should be correct FiNeX
bug #179758 - Translucency of inactive windows works for me FiNeX
- bug #159989 - focus stealing. I can reproduce it, but also there is a simple workaround. Jtamate
- bug #170488 - windows resizes.I can reproduce it, marked as NEW. also it is quite simple to reproduce. Jtamate
- bug #182447 - black border after playing game using OpenGL. Reproducible on GeForce 8600 with 256.35. Lemma
- bug #186192 - repaint-loop bug (cpu usage) with wobbly windows. Reproducible for me. Lemma
- bug #187539 - Special application settings are not saved/loaded. I can reproduce this bug. Lemma
- bug #112924 - mazimize, Minimize and restore sound triggered even when the window is resized/moved manually FiNeX
- bug #136856 - Drag icons doesn't trigger "change desktop" Touching desktop edges FiNeX
- bug #141220 - B2 decoration is broken with compositing on KDE4. Anyway the automatic title move doesn't work on KDE4 FiNeX
- bug #142040 - focus follow mouse setting issue after closing menu FiNeX
- bug #148902 - Maximizing a window below another one, Doesn't move the focus on it even if the "click to focus" Policy is active. I don't know if this is a bug or the wanted behaviour. This should be a wish. FiNeX
- bug #174671 - Bug confirmed: Panels doesn't follow the main window when it is moved on another desktop FiNeX
- bug #175724 -
confirmed: Rmb on background window doesn't raise it FiNeX
Bugs that are RESOLVED
If the bug doesn't exist anymore, it goes here. WORKSFORME!
bug #187563 -
- bug #184385 - Can't reproduce this bug. Lemma
- bug #184778 - Can't reproduce this bug. Lemma
- bug #185671 - Can't reproduce this bug. Lemma
- bug #185710 - Can't reproduce this bug. Lemma
- bug #186279 - Can't reproduce this bug. Lemma
- bug #182191 - wrong icon size used in decoration. I tested it using akregator for which 16x16 and 22x22+ icons look different. The decoration seems to use the 16x16 icon so I guess this bug was fixed. Lemma
- bug #114639 - open/save dialog opens login dialog when needed (accessing remote location like FTP, FISH, SFTP, SMB) FiNeX
- bug #135088 - Cannot reproduce: Moving windows correctly change desktop even with different screens resolution. FiNeX
- bug #175987 - The reporter says that the bug is no more reproducible. FiNeX
- bug #178090 - plasma bug (already fixed) FiNeX
- bug #181088 - Change resolution with krandrtray doesn't break maximize FiNeX
- bug #187543 - Cannot reproduce: When ktorrent is opened with a file .torrent as paramenter, The dialog is correctly displayed even if the window rule is set to minimze the application on start (step by step instructions provided) FiNeX
- bug #189239 - cannot reproduce the reported wobbly window glitches FiNeX
- bug #189590 - clicking on kickoff menu slows the entire desktop. Bug fixed a lot of time ago FiNeX
- bug #190212 - Cannot reproduce: Opening a chat window from a notification message will send the focus to the chat window. FiNeX
- bug #190781 -
Strange bug about a partial freeze of windows. Asked for a feedback FiNeX
- The reporter is not able to reproduce it anymore
windows pack function works FiNeX
Put suspected duplicates here.
bug #189309 -
- bug #179164 -
Duplicate of #135057 FiNeX
- bug #179722 - Probably a duplicate of bug #154365 FiNeX
- bug #179962 - DPI settings not respected, Probably a duplicate of bug #171683 FiNeX
- bug #180059 -
Duplicate of #183911 (confirmed by Martin G.) FiNeX
- bug #187718 -
Probably a duplicate of bug #159989: Closing a window with "focus follows mouse" Doesn't always set the focus on the correct window FiNeX
- bug #189410 -
Bug confirmed with KDE 4.5.2. One skype chat window is focused (but NOT raised). FiNeX
Layout issue, Asked for a feedback FiNeX
bug #160612 - specific settings. probably a dup of bug #162773 and/or bug #187539. Jtamate
- duplicate of wish #105779
A bug is INVALID if it describes desired behavior, or something that isn't a bug.
Valid bugs that should be marked as NEW
If a bug was previously UNCONFIRMED and you can reproduce it, put it here.
KWin bugs that need attention from developers
If anything is in doubt, put it here, and give a description of why you think a developer should look at it.
- bug #172649 - I do not know what to do with this bug. I've used foobar2000 and didn't saw this happening. But what I've seen is that parts of foobar2000 sometimes get black background when switching from using desktop effects to not using them. Jtamate
- bug #182245 - two bugs at once: wobbly + shadow is slow on an EeePC; turning on the shadow effect doesn't add shadows to existing windows. However enabling the wobbly effect afterwards adds shadows to all existing windows. Lemma
- bug #182500 - This was originally meant for the KWin developers. Something about wine which only seems to be a problem with the KDE3 version. I guess it might be closed but I'm not sure so some dev should have a look at it. Lemma
- bug #183680 - I can reproduce this bug: Enable paint effect and enable always keep thumbnails. Then open ksysguard and minimize it. Still KWin marks the areas ksysguard was in repainted. mgraesslin said he wanted to look into the code, so maybe this is not a bug after all (or just a minor one with the paint effect). Lemma
- bug #184059 - talks about performance degradation with certain fullscreen OpenGL applications and desktop effects. Judging from a KWin developer comment this might actually be INVALID but needs rechecking. Lemma
- bug #186964 - this is something about _NET_WM_USER_TIME which I frankly don't have a clue about. Lubos commented on it but I wouldn't know how to check if this is actually a bug. Lemma
Bugs needing Feedback
If a bug sounds valid but can't really be reproduced and needs more information from the reporter, put it here.
- bug #173221 - windowbar artifacts. I can not reproduce, but the reporter and commenter where able.. Jtamate
- bug #173678 - I do not have keyboard focus stealing applications to test. The reporter has. Jtamate
- bug #160472 - disabing effects, screensaver eating cpu. I can not reproduce, let see if the report can.. Jtamate
- bug #160948 - Can not reproduce. r300 is fast enough? My eyes are slow? asked the reporters.... Jtamate
- bug #169688 - Two speeds with 0 or more windows at the minimize/restore effect. I can not reproduce. asked the reporter. Jtamate
- bug #182082 - needs two nvidia cards with 4 monitors connected using TwinView. As I doubt anyone of us has such a setup I asked the reporter of the bug to check with KDE4 and report back. Lemma
- bug #182495 - Something about high CPU use. It's unclear wether that's related to KWin. I asked the reporter if it still happens and if he can explain a bit more.
- bug #184338 - strange bug which seems to be related to hardware or driver. Asked the reporter if he could still reproduce it. Lemma
bug #150716 - Asked for more information. FiNeX
bug #154365 - xrandr needed - Deactivating one screen, All windows are uncorrectly resized FiNeX
bug #177843 - Old bug, Asked for feedback FiNeX
bug #178098 - asked for a feedback: The reporter have a konsole window which stays on top FiNeX
bug #180524 - unreproducible issue, Asked for a feedback FiNeX
bug #180994 - xrandr - Asked for a feedback FiNeX
bug #187845 - after rotating the screen with xrandr, Windows are uncorrectly placed FiNeX
bug #190095 - Asked for a feedback, I'm not able to reproduce this bug FiNeX
bug #190605 - ozone and oxygen have been merged some time ago. Asked for a feedback FiNeX
bug #161105 - konqueror starting at some strange place and size (filled for 3.5). Jtamate
- bug #122070 - focus stealing related problem. I'm not able to reproduce this bug. Asked for a feedback FiNeX
- bug #124261 - This bug is very similar to #122070, Probably a dup. Asked for a feedback FiNeX
- bug #135207 - Cannot reproduce: "Focus follow mouse" Policy without autoraise setting doesn't raise the focused window FiNeX
- bug #143055 -
focus on click works fine on my system, Probably it could be a configuration problem after updating the KDE version. Asked for a feedback FiNeX
- It is a worksforme confirmed by two reporters
Bugs that need particular setups/equipment to test
If a bug needs for example special hardware or a specific video driver or other particular configuration, put it here.
Multiple monitor setup
If the bug is reproducible on a multiple monitor setup (dual head, dual screen, xrandr, xinerama, twinview), please put it here.
Put here bug reports against performance issues.
- bug #183680 - slowdown when opening many windows in a short period of time. Reproducible for me. Lemma
- bug #191329 -
the reporter observed that the nvidia video driver is slower than the intel one FiNeX
If it is a valid bug, but not a Kwin bug, it might have been assigned the wrong product on Bugzilla. Put it here so it can be reassigned to the proper component.
Bugs you can't do
If there are bugs you can't test for whatever reason (apart from the ones needing a particular setup which have their own section), fill those in here.