THIS IS A DRAFT
Date: 1 April 2007
* From this date forward, no major KDE subsystem can be committed to kdelibs. * The location of all classes are fixed within kdelibs * Trunk is expected to contain KDE4 code only now. This effectively means that all scripts processing translations for KDE3 in trunk will cease. * Extragear applications that want to release based on KDE3 are expected to move to /branches/stable and work from there. * The buildsystem requirements are fixed; i.e, must not require a version of cmake greater than 2.4.5.
Date: 1 May 2007
* Qt 4.3 is required from here until release. * The kdelibs API is frozen. This means that the classes and interfaces are not allowed to change, except with permission of the core developers. * To make an API change, post a kdelibs API exception request to the kde-core-devel mailinglist with an explanation and the code. If there are no objections after a week, the change can be committed. NOTE: all affected modules must continue to compile and work as expected.
Date: 1 June 2007
* The KDE main modules are frozen for new features. * No new features are allowed, the focus is on stabilizing the applications and fixing all bugs. * The main module maintainers must indicate if they will follow the release schedule or will divert and not be released together with KDE 4.0.
Start: 25 June 2007 End: 24 September 2007 Duration: 3 months (estimated)
* From this date forward, a Beta Version will be published every month until most grave bugs are resolved. * The kdelibs API is now frozen solid. * Translations are included starting with the second Beta, thus beginning a string freeze. Exceptions can be requested on the kde-i18n mailinglist.
Start: 25 September 2007 End: 22 October 2007 Duration: 4 weeks (estimated)
* From this date forward, a Release Candidate will be released every two weeks until *all* grave bugs are resolved. * After the first Release Candidate there is a total release freeze. This means only regressions (breakage caused due to the KDE4 port) or grave bugs can be fixed, but nothing else. * With the first Release Candidate, a list of languages which will be included with the KDE 4.0 release will be made available, based on the usual rules.
Date: 23 October 2007
* This date is based on an estimated 3 Beta's and 2 Release Candidates.