Apps Menu Structure Proposal. I'd like to make apps menu more fine-grained by introducing submenus
File download and sharing
- <monitoring apps?>
Play and Management
- <tag editors>
Creation and editing
View and Management
Creation and editing
- KTimeTracker (remove from menu -- present as plasmoid)
- Kalarm (remove from menu -- present as plasmoid?)
- <Syncing apps>
- <other kdepim apps>
- Strigi search
- <backup app>
- <Accessibility apps>
- <Version control tools?>
- if several apps fulfill the same function (i.e. konqueror, opera, firefox), then their title should be in form of %function% - %appname%: "Web-browser - Konqueror"
- We need a special entries in .desktop files determining the priority (Menu-Priority, Menu-Priority-KDE, Menu-Priority-Gnome).
- Because the order is important
- apps with Menu-Priotity above 100 constant could be visually separated
by the line (they are the main apps in the category)
- apps with Menu-Priotity below 10 may be hidden at all (i.e. they are rarely used by an average user)
- If category has only 1 item, the item should be displayed instead of
- Statistics is needed for this (simple voting?)
- 'Utilities' category isn't needed at all. For example, 'root terminal' should be in System.
- Plasmoids: a lot of small apps need to be turned into plasmoids.
- charselect should be callable from anywhere but K-Menu
- kcalc -- the same
- dictionary applet
I like the way desktop widgets are displayed in Mac OS X (easy accessible any moment - e.g. clock, calendar, calc)
Alternatively, instead of 'Office' we could use 'Desktop Publishing',
'Groupware (Kontact)' into 'Internet' +merge 'Graphics' to 'Multimedia':
- Play and Manage (amarok, tag editors)
- Create and edit (Audacity)
- Create and edit (kino, etc)
- View and Manage (Gwenview, Digikam)
- Create and edit (Krita, Kolourpaint, Gimp)
Critisism I recieved from kde-devel@ so far:
- .... submenus are bad. They do not seem very usable to me, especially when the structure is not evident: ...
- so it's better to look through all 10-20 entries (possibly in in each
category) before finding app that you need?
- there should be no more then ~5 items in each category
- This breaks traditional alphabetical order...
- alphabetical order is of small value when user doesnt know the name of the
app he/she is looking for.
And this is said to be false: "the menu is for newcomers, experienced users use 'Search' field anyway."