This page is about the bookmarks system refactoring for 4.3 using Akonadi / Nepomuk. It's mostly Konqueror-centric, but we must keep in mind the bookmarks system is used by many applications.
Comments and ideas are welcome.
Current state of bookmarks
- Currently provided classes : KBookmark, KBookmarkGroup, KBookmarksManager and others.
- Many apps use it : Konqueror, Konsole, Kate, Okular, ... need to keep backwards compatibility.
- Bookmarks are stored in a per-application XBEL file, parsed by KBookmarksManager.
- Sync with online services / other sources
- Rating / tagging / other metainformations
- Site snapshots storage
Other ideas to discuss
- Only use tags instead of folders
- Store it in mysql instead of files
- Merge bookmarks and history (to get history tagging / rating) : a bookmark may be a properly tagged history entry
The consensus seems to be :
- using Akonadi to handle storage and sync
- using Nepomuk to handle tagging / metadata
- reuse and extend existing kdelibs/kio API
We need to define which we use to export data to standard KDE classes.