!Batch !! No of bugs !! IRC Nickname !! Status !! Query
!Batch !! No of bugs !! IRC Nickname !! Status !! Query
| || |
Revision as of 16:52, 24 April 2009
If this is the first time you're taking part in a bug triage, don't be scared by the amount of explanatory text on this page. We hope it's easily understandable - if it isn't bug us on IRC :-)
This is the page for PlasmaDay1 which takes place on Saturday/Sunday, April 25th/26th 2009, but feel free to start early. The aim of this bug day is to organize as many of the Plasma bugs as possible, identifying duplicate bug reports and already fixed bugs. Our targets for triage are bugs listed in bugs.kde.org under the product plasma.
You don't need any programming experience to help out with Triaging, but you will need a very recent version of KDE compiled from svn. Information on setting up KDE from trunk can be found here. If you're having trouble installing KDE, feel free to drop by on #kde-bugs early to get some help.
- This page has useful information on how to not mis-mark bugs. In particular, "duplicates are hard". Generally we don't want to claim things are duplicates when they aren't. Make sure you get approval from a developer before you mark something a duplicate. We don't want to create more work for the developers!
- Be sure to join #kde-bugs on irc.freenode.net, as this is where the bug-day will be coordinated. (You can even join now!)
First of all, put your name and the version of KDE you are testing with into the Sign-in section. Then read the descriptions of the various sections to file bugs in carefully.
- Select one of the batches of bugs you'd like to do and pick it by putting your name into the appropriate column.
- Execute the query to get the list of bugs and go through the bugs one by one.
- Read the bug description and the comments carefully and try to reproduce the bug.
- Post a comment on bugzilla explaining what you found out. Be sure to also put the version of KDE you are testing with in the comment.
- Put the bug into the appropriate section and describe your findings here as well (eg. "Can't reproduce any longer" or "This bug is still reproducible for me"). If there's something special about a bug, you can prepend a little label like eg. crash. Please mark every bug with your IRC nickname. You can easily do that by appending ~~~.
- Check if the bug's Version field is set properly. The version field for Plasma bugs should always contain the last KDE version the bug is/was reproducible with. If the bug is no longer reproducible and it's unclear which version the bug last appeared in, please set it to the version you think it last happened.
- Check if the bug's component is set correctly. It will be of great help when checking for duplicates (eg. comparing similar bugreports in the "panel" component). If you lack permissions to change the component or are unsure about it, please put the bugs in the "needs component change" section along with a comment.
- Mark the bug as triaged by adding the triaged keyword on the bug. Again if you lack the permissions to do so, additionally put it in the "Needs triaged keyword" section.
- If you're done with your batch, pick another one and start from the top :-)
Some bugs might have documents that expose the bugs attached, for some bugs you might be able to create data that shows the buggy behaviour. In both cases we have to add the testcase keyword. If you lack permissions to do so, additionally add the bug to the "Needs testcase keyword" section.
If something has no clear instructions on how to reproduce it, or has little useful information, add a comment asking the reporter for more detail. Then list it in the bugs awaiting feedback section. Be polite, we want to be nice to our bug reporters!
Is it a big bug?
Prioritizing is good. We're especially interested in problems that result in an unuseable desktop. Let's keep track of them.
Please list bugs here to get a second opinion before making the change in bugzilla. This also gives a record of what we've done for the developers to check.
|Many Plasma bugreports might be specific to a certain graphics card or the version of Qt/X.org you are using. This means that just because you can't reproduce a bug it might still be there.|
Keep this page updated!
After adding triaged bugs on this page, you should keep an eye on their bugzilla status. Add yourself on the CC field in bugzilla to be informed about updates. When a bug is closed on bugzilla, it should be updated on this page.
You can use the tag <s>...</s> to mark a bug as done
- You can edit single sections of this page if you you check Enable section editing via edit links in your TechBase Preferences.
- Sometimes you might encounter edit conflicts if several people are working on the wiki page at once. We can mostly avoid those by keeping notes of the bugs we encounter in a text editor and file several of them later at once (don't forget to save).
|Please be sure to sign every bug or comment you add to this page with your irc nickname. You can use the wiki markup ~~~ to insert your wiki username automatically (but only do this if it is the same as your IRC nickname, otherwise write your IRC nickname in by hand).|
There are some bugs which are commonly reported several times. If you found such a bug (or think you did), you can put it here:
Tell developers what you are testing with. (If you expect to upgrade between now and BugDay, put what version you are using now next to the bugs/comments that you put on this page.)
Please give distro/version or SVN branch/trunk with revision below (or just beta2 if you're using that). Also put your graphics driver, the version of Qt and X you are using:
|| KDE version used for testing
|| Graphics driver
||svn trunk r948809
Division of Labour
Please choose a batch that is not already taken and then query bugs.kde.org for all bugs in that batch. Please mark you irc nickname in the table below to show which month's bugs you are working on to avoid duplication of effort.
If you have to leave before you can finish your batch, please put the last bug you triaged as well as if you're going to finish triaging in the table so others will know where you left off.
|With these more recent bugs, if the report has been looked at by a developer (i.e. they cc'd themself or commented on it or posted a patch), and it seems like the issue is fixed, BUT the developer didn't close it, make sure the bug really can be closed. Often it can't.|
Information mostly for people organizing:
- The template query for the batches is [ this one].
- If you want to choose a batch but none are left, bug Lemma on IRC.
Bugs that need changes that require permissions
If you put a bug into this section, please be sure you additionally put it into the appropriate Completed Bugs section.
Bugs to be marked as TRIAGED
Bugs that need the triaged keyword adding to them should be listed here.
Bugs to be marked as TESTCASE
Bugs needing the testcase keyword added to them should be listed here.
Bugs needing version field changed
Bugs should be listed here if their version field needs to be changed according to what written above.
Bugs needing component field changed
If a bug can be categorized better by changing its component field but you lack the permission to do it, please put the bug here.
Special interest bugs
Some bugs seem to be more important than the others. If you feel a bug is really really (really) important and you can still reproduce it, please put it here.
Below lists the various sections for completed bugs. This aids everyone in double checking each other's work. In addition this allows those of us that don't have bugzilla permissions to list bugs so that the folks with the permissions can follow up.
Bugs to be marked as RESOLVED
Bugs that are no longer reproducible and have been fixed already go into this section. After they are double-checked they can be closed.
Bugs with test-cases
If the bug is still reproducible and has a test-case attached, put it here.
Bugs with step-by-step instructions
If the bug has proper step-by-step instructions to reproduce the bug it should go here. Actually most reproducible bugs should end up in this section.
Bugs to be marked as INVALID
Bugs which are no longer valid go here. Please provide the reason why you think this bug is invalid.
Some examples of when a bug should be closed as INVALID:
- The reported behaviour is not a bug.
- The bug is completely unrelated to Plasma.
This list is not exhaustive. If you feel a bug is invalid for any other reason, be fure to list it here, mentioning why you think it is invalid.
Before closing a bug as INVALID, be sure to get a developer's opinion.
- bug #172475 It seems a corrupted configuration problem. Probably in this case b.k.o is not the better place for helping the reporter. FiNeX
Bugs to be marked as DUPLICATE
Duplicates (or possible duplicates) found should be placed here along with a link to the bug you think it is a duplicate of.
Bugs that should be WISHES
Sometimes there are bugs that are actually wishlist items. If you think a bug is not really a bug please put it here.
- bug #167701 I do not know if usability bugs are wishes or not. Jtamate
- bug #176753 Ability to adjust icons size in kickoff. Jtamate
- bug #181031 HIG question about position of rmb menu on task. I like the current behaviour, but more expert people should decide. FiNeX
- It has been reported as bug, but it seems more like a wish (imho) FiNeX
- bug #182689 Reporter wants title bar mouse click actions back, not sure if that is going to happen. Ruchir
- bug #182880 Reporter wants access to customize theme directly from desktop settings. Ruchir
- bug #182925 There is scope of improvement in device notifier applet. Ruchir
- bug #182950 Option to save session is missing. Ruchir
- bug #183003 Redesign of appearance settings(I filed this wish :) ). Ruchir
Bugs needing users with particular setups
Bugs that require particular software or hardware that you don't have available should be listed here with a description of the non-standard requirement.
Non english locales
Bugs requiring non-English locales should be listed here, along with the locale they require.
Bugs needing attention from Plasma developers
Add bugs here if you need to find out whether the observed behaviour is inteded, or if there's some other reason that it would be useful for a Plasma developer to take a look at. Make sure you indicate why the bug needs attention. A second common reason to put a bug here is if it has already been heavily commented on by the application's developer. In the latter case please only add bugs you can reproduce.
|Always defer policy decisions to developers.|
- bug #177708 File copy dialog feedback. There is a long discussion. Anyway the current (trunk) implementation seems a good solution (to me). A feedback from reporter and HIG group could be very useful. FiNeX
- bug #174787 Some users experienced crashes on plasma start. FiNeX
- bug #175087 There is some freezes on plasma on certain conditions. FiNeX
- bug #180625 plasma crashes but nobody knows why. FiNeX
- bug #175087 Plasma freezes. The root cause is not still really known. FiNeX
- bug #181241 I don't understand the report but seems code related. Ruchir
Bugs awaiting feedback
Some bugs are hard to reproduce because the reporter left out some explanation you'd need. In that case we have no other means but to request some more information. Bugs for which feedback from the reporter has been requested should be put here. They should be revisited in 30 days to see if there's any response. If there's feedback
Feedback should only be requested for bugs if you have tried and failed to reproduce them or if the report contains insufficient information to try and reproduce the bug. Requesting feedback for a bug should be seen as a last resort only.
- bug #165937 Posibly solved, waiting for thomas information. Jtamate
- bug #168343 Already asked by blauzahl. Jtamate
- bug #178375 Developer asked some time ago. Reporter didn't replied Dario_Andres
- bug #178224 No good backtrace, asking again. Dario_Andres
- bug #178370 No news, mixed reports, situation not clear to understand, asking for feedback Dario_Andres
- bug #178877 I can't reproduce here. Waiting for feedback.Dario_Andres
- bug #180928 I can't reproduce in 2 different setups. Waiting for feedback. anselmolsm
- bug #180858 I reproduced what is described and got no problem, but I asked for feedback with a newer version of NVIDIA driver to ensure that this was a bug related with an old driver version. anselmolsm
- bug #180909 Waiting for feedback (a full backtrace). anselmolsm
- bug #176464 Seems solved, but asked as it has subbugs. Jtamate
- bug #176644 Darío Already asked. Jtamate
- bug #181200 Can't reproduce myself, asked for more details. Ruchir
- bug #181258 Asked reporter if it is still reproducible. Ruchir
- bug #180429 Already asked by Darío. Jtamate
- bug #180640 plasma crashes, asked for software versions. FiNeX
- bug #180810 I'm not able to reproduce, the network statistic seems ok. Asked to the reporter if he can still reproduce it. FiNeX
- bug #182647 Asked reporter for clarification. Ruchir
- bug #182848 Asked reporter for steps to reproduce. Ruchir
- Reporter can't reproduce. Should I close it? Ruchir
- bug #172173 Plasmoids and panels are correctly replaced-resized after screen size change. FiNeX
- I can't reproduce but a commenter did it. Waiting for more info from him. FiNeX
- bug #171763 I'm able to move plasmoids between monitors (twinview). FiNeX
Bugs that you can't do
If you have bugs in your batch that you can't do, and no-one has been able to help you with on IRC, please list them here for someone else to have a look at.
Put a bug in this section if it is not related to Plasma and needs reassignment.